Wiring is my nemesis!

I prolly won't be able to respond to this thread since I'll be away till the 25th, so please do me a favor and help me out here, guys.

I've been going crazy trying to fix a bunch of car stuff these past two weeks since I sold my sol and want to sell the rex. Plus I had to fix some things in my friends' cars: There's a problem with my buddy's scooter somewhere in the numerous relays --why is it always relays!? Then today after we gave up on my rex and his scooter a friend's girlfriend asked us to help put a new stereo in her cavalier and that was a headache too since apparently when you color-match the wires it causes mad problems.

GAaaaaaHhh!!121!

So I've been trying to wire the O2 sensor right in this '88 CRX Si that I got from Kegan for like a week. I guess I need to do more research, but basically what I was told was to put the grey wire into where the old, single-wire O2 sensor would go, the black is a ground, and the two whites go to the 6 and 14 pins on the ECU (which would correspond to the 6th pin on the top of the A plug and the 1st pin on the bottom of the D plug I think). Tried that today and it was still throwing a CEL. [EDIT: THIS IS WRONG BY THE WAY, AS YOU WILL SEE LATER IN THE THREAD.]

Does that sound right and is it just throwing a CEL for some other reason? Cuz it does have an oil orifice that was mistakenly put in the block that needs to be removed...

What are the CEL codes 1 and 10? Kegan told me that's what it was throwing.

And where can I get a wiring diagram for a D16Z6 ECU out of a 94 civic (P28)?

Thanks in advance. I hope I can count on all the regs to help me out here.

Sooo....

Anyone know where I can get some wiring diagrams at least so I can try to figure this out?

Thanks -- I know this topic sucks...

AAAh! That is completely different!!1 I guess you should never trust mechanical advice given to you from a guy while he's at a theme park, haha.

Before I say it's all good, though, I should point out those are for B series engines. I've never done a swap before, but I would assume it's different. Where did you get that and do they also have one for a P28 for my D16Z6? Cuz that would deffo help me wire up VTEC as well.

Schweet....

I'd do my own research, but I'm catching up on a lot of internet business (emails and banking and such) too, since I was away all week.

Could you post up links to where you get this, btw? That might help me in further reading. Thanks a lot, mang.

Edit: I made you a sig in MS paint, by the way, if you wanna go scope it.

A06 orange/black , HTCNTL(heated oxygen sensor , B7 , Z6 engines)

D14 orange/black , heated O2 sensor(for B7 , Z6

A04 orange/white , VTS(spool solenoid valve , Z1 and Z6 engines)

D06 orange/blue , VTM(vtec oil pressure switch

Can't find anything for the knock sensor, sorry.

Update:

Found the real A6 and D14 pins, each conveniently with an available wire to connect to, and tried both the wires in each spot.

Still throwing a CEL.

So, there are a few possibilities:

1) The black and the grey wires are reversed and black actually goes to the old O2 sensor plug-in spot and grey is the ground, not vice versa as I have it.

2) I am throwing a CEL for some other reason (ie there's an A6 oil orifice in a Z6 head).

3) Since VTEC isn't wired yet the lights on because of that(?).

Help me out, please.

Yeah just switch the black and gray, then try switching the other two around in each spot. After each retry, reset the ecu by unplugging it.

The oil control jet won't make you throw a code.

Doubt it.

I guess I'll find out if that works tomorrow. Please, Gawd....

Might also try to wire up VTEC so we'll see.

I was looking at this image --

obd1.jpg

Think that the knock sensor goes to D3 maybe or would that not be right since it's for a B18C5. Other stuff looks right, though.

Edit: This image seems to support that view as well, though it's for a P13:

fb71da9a.jpg

So I tried every combination with everything plugged in or grounded (VTEC and the O2 sensor). Still throwing a CEL.

I know that I have everything right at this point, and there are only 8 possible combinations, since I have found places that say "connect one white wire to A6 and the other to D14" or things like that.

Bottom line: I tried each combination while resetting my ECU in between each by pulling the fuse and waiting about 30 seconds each time.

Do I need to have the codes cleared with something that checks which specific codes I'm throwing? I'm gonna go check them tomorrow at Advance (they check codes, right?) and see if I actually have fixed the wiring and there's just something else wrong or whatever. Bright ideas appreciated.

white(signal)- goes to D14

orange/black(heater control)- goes to A06

green/white(ground)- goes to D22

yellow/black(power)- goes to A25

above is the color of the wires leaving the 4 wire O2 sensor.

than i dont know what to tell you but get a proper o2 sensor. cause those colors ive mentioned are straight from the helms dude. half if not more of the sensors in the car should have a yellow/black wire leading to it. took me about 15 minutes with a helms to find out where each wire goes and what color it SHOULD be, lol.

It's a Bosch universal.

So the translation, the whites go where they are. The gray goes to A25, and the black stays in the old O2 sensor wire as it runs straight to d22.

well , thats the 4 pins in the ecu that the o2 sensor connects too. by the way , the 2 wires that go to D22 and A25 , they are not the only wires that go there. those 2 places supply power and ground for other crap too.

here(little more than halfway down):

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BoschOEMO...rsFuelInjMC.pdf

white(signal)- goes to D14

orange/black(heater control)- goes to A06

green/white(ground)- goes to D22

yellow/black(power)- goes to A25

for your bosch:

the black wire goes to D14

gray wire goes to ground D22

white wires go to A25 and A06

now i dont know if it matters which white goes where , couldnt find that anywheres , but its either one way or the other now for you.

there your welcome , lol.

PS , your getting that IAT code as well cause you have the o2 wired wrong. and hopefully you didnt ruin either sensor from being wired wrong , power to where ground goes and vice versa is never a good thing , lol.

Oh my gawd! That makes so much sense! Thank you thank you thank you!

I will investigate this tonight. If it's still throwing a code after this I bet you're right and I did mess up one of the sensors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE:

Okay, I went out and investigated. Here are my findings:

I have the black leading to D22 via the old O2 spot, which needs to be fixed by going to D14, which has an available spot ready and waiting. Easy fix.

I also have the grey grounded, which apparently needs to go to where the black is now. Easy fix.

Then I have one of the white wires right. Already done.

But the other needs to get plugged into A25 (the last pin on the top of the A plug) but there is already a wire there leading directly to the harness with no available spot to plug into. I am leary about cutting into there, given how many combinations I've tried and gotten no results from. Not to be rude or anything, but are we sure that's where it needs to go? Big question mark.

Please help me a little bit more.

go to local radio shack or hardware store , pick your self up a couple T taps dude. it will allow you to tap into a wire wihtout hurting it. and if for some reason it has to come off , you just pop it off , and its like it was before you tapped it. from what ive researched for you , thats where it goes dude. T-taps.

Archived