I've got some problems: Please help!!

1987HondaCivic

Hello, I am a newbie to this forum and this is my first post :) . I recently bought a 1987 honda civic. It is a 1.5 liter carbed car. The car itself has 174,000 miles on it, but I know they go alot longer than that. Here's my dilema. Sometimes when I am driving and start to come to a stop the car kills. I push in the clutch and the rpms drop way down and then it kills. Most of the time it does not start up for at least 2 minutes which the started just cranks. I try pumping the pedal and even holding the pedal down until it starts. But it's weird because it only does it sometimes. I never know when it's going to act up. Somedays it runs like a champ other days it scares the hell out of me. Here's what I have done to remedy the problem.

Changed the plugs

Changed the plug wires

Changed the air filter

Cleaned up air filter housing

I also sprayed carb cleaner down the carb

and am in the process of changing the thermostat. It is shot and needs to be changed. I believe it is stuck open.

I am thinking that the engine never fully warms up, and in the cold weather it never warmed up unless it was idling in one spot for an extended period of time.

Would the thermostat keep the car from warming up and make it kill becasue it thinks it is cold? Otherwise could it be the fuel filter or the carb itself? This is my first carb car, and I hate to give it up because it gets 40mpg.

What do you all think? Have any of you guys/girls have any experience with this?

Thanks! Nick

your compression rings are shot, your carb is gone, and on top of that your engine doesn't even have a chance to warm up.

time for a rebuild.

AMEN to that but also think about putting in a new fuel pump. my old hyundai Scoup did the same thing but did it all the time after about a month after i bought the car but when i got the car it did basically whet yours is doing. so try changing out the fuel pump.

Archived