How can I tell if my engine is original?

TrailMystic

I bought a great looking '94 VTEC sol a few weeks ago. It runs great, and looks like it's only 2 years old (only 52K). But, I took a calculated risk in buying it because it has a Salvage/Rebuild title, which means it was totaled in an accident, flooded, or stolen. I have no regrets. I am happy with the car, but I am trying to solve the mystery of why it has a salvage title. The previous owner did not know either. He had a good mechanical background, and he said he checked the car out carefully and he couldn't see any evidence of repairs from a wreck or water damage (electronics all work well). I couldn't see any evidence either of a wreck or water damge. The previous owner guessed it had been stolen, which probably means it was stripped - maybe just the coveted VTEC motor was taken and replaced later after it was declared a loss. So, where is the engine serial number? Does the engine usually have the same serial number as the VIN of the car, or does it have a different number. The present engine runs great - really tight and quiet, but I am just trying to put together the pieces of this puzzle.

Pete

First of all, if it's the coveted VTEC engine in there then it'll have dual overhead cams. That's one indicator. But you can read the engine code off a little square down and to the left side of the front of the block, just below the head. It should say B16A3 I think.

So, what's a HPI check? Is that the UK equivalent to our CarFax? If so, the CarFax does not give details about why it was a salvage title. I had a CarFax before I bought it. Yes, the present engine is the B16A3 DOHC. If it was replaced, someone replaced it with the right engine. Also, it's not an option to go back to the insurance company - I have no owner names or claim numbers to do that.

Pete

So, what's a HPI check? Is that the UK equivalent to our CarFax? If so, the CarFax does not give details about why it was a salvage title. I had a CarFax before I bought it. Yes, the present engine is the B16A3 DOHC. If it was replaced, someone replaced it with the right engine. Also, it's not an option to go back to the insurance company - I have no owner names or claim numbers to do that.

Pete

Um, if carfax doesn't tell you if the vehicle has been in any wrecks/totaled, they're screwing you out of money.

All carfax says is there is an alert because a Salvage/Rebuild title was issued. It does not specify the reason for the rebuild. Back to the original question, how can you tell if the engine is original. If it was wrecked, that's OK with me because it looks and runs great. I'm just curious if it was stripped.

Pete

First of all, if it's the coveted VTEC engine in there then it'll have dual overhead cams. That's one indicator. But you can read the engine code off a little square down and to the left side of the front of the block, just below the head. It should say B16A3 I think.

check that first

That's weird that you weren't told why it has that title from the CarFax. Hm.

Did the guy who sold it to you take off any of the body pieces. That might reveal evidence of a repaired wreck, but if it looks fine and runs fine I might just leave it. Just don't sell it since you won't get any money. And sols are perfect anyway for the money.

Archived