Quick question

draybook

If the negative battery cable is bad, would it cause you to get a click when trying to start the car? Would it cause the positive post to get hot when having the car turned into the on position? I'm thinking my connection is bad and I noticed that my positive cable gets hot as crap when trying to start the car. The battery, dizzy, and alternator are all reading fine on the fluke.

bad ground? maybe? with my very little electrical knowlege a bad ground could force the current to seek an alternative route to the battery hence making the positive overload..... please someone correct me if im totally worng...

well if the cable is getting hot, then your ground is good. If it clicks then you know it is grounded and the solenoid is good. Whats the problem again? it won't turn over, or...?

an ohm meter will tell you if its grounded good or not.

well if the cable is getting hot, then your ground is good. If it clicks then you know it is grounded and the solenoid is good. Whats the problem again? it won't turn over, or...?

an ohm meter will tell you if its grounded good or not.

It won't start or do anything. I only get a click when I turn the key. I used a fluke and everything was getting 12.5 volts.

that would explain why it is getting hot. (your creating a big short) if its not turning over, then the starter is shot. keep the solenoid its still good.

Well, I replaced the starter and nothing still. I had it tested and it was frozen, with no activity, wouldn't even turn a smidge. I took my battery to O'Reilly's and it's charging now. I checked for a trouble code and my ECU was kicking out a code 6, which is the coolant temperature sensor. I'm not sure exactly where it is or how to check it. I read a bit about it and I've read that the car might not start if it's bad since it can't tell what temp the engine is at.

but will it turn over now? wasn't the the main problem?

No, no turn over still. It just clicks once and then all my lights on the dash dim until they have faded out. I just got in so I have to wait for the rain to stop to check it with a fresh battery.

Any ideas? I forgot to mention this: Starter and battery are tested and good. Dizzy is semi new but has been giving me problems. Also getting the temp coolant sensor trouble code. I don't think a bad alternator would cause it not to crank, especially with a fully charged battery.

go over all your connections

I tried to start it again earlier and it started to smoke from the top posts on the battery. I quit as soon as I turned the key into the off position. I'm thinking that my ground must be bad causing it to overload and making the posts hot, which they were very much so.

Does that sound like a bad ground?

sounds like one hell of a load on the starter to make your posts smoke. Does it do it like instantly? or after your cranking for 20 seconds?

are you sure its wired up right? lol.... cause it sounds like you are making a big short. even at stall, your starter isn't drawing that many amps to make battery terminals do that like instantly.

does it turn over correctly? (minus the smoking)

sounds like one hell of a load on the starter to make your posts smoke. Does it do it like instantly? or after your cranking for 20 seconds?

are you sure its wired up right? lol.... cause it sounds like you are making a big short. even at stall, your starter isn't drawing that many amps to make battery terminals do that like instantly.

does it turn over correctly? (minus the smoking)

It started smoking about 2-3 seconds after I tried to start the car holding the key in the on position. It won't turn over at all. All it does is click once and nothing else.

Could it be your ignition switch

Well, we pulled the spark plugs and tried to turn it by hand and nothing. Seems my motor is probably locked up. Pretty fracked up considering it only has like 70k miles on it and I keep oil in it. Ah man. Well, I have a guy who will trade for it even with the motor locked up. I'd rather sell it and buy this CRV that my friend has.

Archived