CRX won't start

draybook

I have a 91 CRX hf. The distributor has been giving me trouble lately. It will usually cause the car to idle rough when I slow down or when I'm at a stop, sometimes causing the car to stall. Usually I can get it cranked back up but if it happens 2 or 3 times during the same drive, it will drain my battery and I'll have to charge it back up. Sunday, this happened on my way to work so I left it at the gas station and came back for it after work.

A friend tried to jump it off with his Jeep Wrangler, and after 10 minutes of us letting the cables charge my battery, nothing. It only gave me a click and no turn over or even an attempt. So, I ended up getting a friend with a strap and towing it to the house. I charged the battery all night and then today I tried it again. nothing but a click.

I've used a fluke and all connections are getting over 12 volts, so they're good it seems. The battery is good as well. When I try to start it, it just gives out a click and all the interior lights dim a bit. I'm hoping it's not the starter since I have no money for one at the moment. I haven't tried push starting it because if it is the starter or something else, I won't be able to push start it every time I need to drive. Any ideas would be great.

I have a 91 CRX hf. The distributor has been giving me trouble lately. It will usually cause the car to idle rough when I slow down or when I'm at a stop, sometimes causing the car to stall. Usually I can get it cranked back up but if it happens 2 or 3 times during the same drive, it will drain my battery and I'll have to charge it back up. Sunday, this happened on my way to work so I left it at the gas station and came back for it after work.

A friend tried to jump it off with his Jeep Wrangler, and after 10 minutes of us letting the cables charge my battery, nothing. It only gave me a click and no turn over or even an attempt. So, I ended up getting a friend with a strap and towing it to the house. I charged the battery all night and then today I tried it again. nothing but a click.

I've used a fluke and all connections are getting over 12 volts, so they're good it seems. The battery is good as well. When I try to start it, it just gives out a click and all the interior lights dim a bit. I'm hoping it's not the starter since I have no money for one at the moment. I haven't tried push starting it because if it is the starter or something else, I won't be able to push start it every time I need to drive. Any ideas would be great.

Sounds like it could be the starter...or perhaps your clutch switch? check the clutch switch first since that is the easiest. Then I would try to pop start it to make sure it works. If you still have the rough idle I would check the distributor and plugs/wires. Maybe replace them. And then check the starter. If you can get it off yourself you can usually bring it to a place like autozone or maybe just your local shop and they can check to see if its malfunctioning or not.

Where is your location btw. I have an HF sitting in my driveway that runs but the frame is rusted to crap. So I have extra parts...lol

Archived