General Suspension Questions

I'm due for shocks, and I'm wondering what would be best for me. I'm not interested in lowering the car, because I do a lot of winter and rally driving with it. Are there performance shocks that keep the stock ride height?

I've read a bit about the rear brake conversions, and they don't sound too difficult. Are they worth the money and time?

Also, I'm due for tires. I've got 17" Konig's, with Yokohama AVS100's. I love the combo for the twisty back roads, and I'd buy them again. They're pretty worn down on the inside edge of the tire. With stock suspension, do I need a camber adjustment? Is there a way to fix this so I can switch back to my dirt or winter wheels without adjusting anything?

I'm due for shocks, and I'm wondering what would be best for me. I'm not interested in lowering the car, because I do a lot of winter and rally driving with it. Are there performance shocks that keep the stock ride height?

I've read a bit about the rear brake conversions, and they don't sound too difficult. Are they worth the money and time?

Also, I'm due for tires. I've got 17" Konig's, with Yokohama AVS100's. I love the combo for the twisty back roads, and I'd buy them again. They're pretty worn down on the inside edge of the tire. With stock suspension, do I need a camber adjustment? Is there a way to fix this so I can switch back to my dirt or winter wheels without adjusting anything?

yes, there are shocks made for rallying. Not sure about ride height though.

I've never done a rear brake conversion, so I can't speak to the diffculty of it, however, yes, its worth it...

As for your camber issues... that's a tough one without seeing the car. If you truly are rallying the car, then yes, you should be adjusting the camber EVERY time you race...

Sorry, not performance rally's, but rather TSD rally's. Still, twisty dirt roads that definitely aren't suitable for 17's.

As far as shocks, I just want something slightly better than stock, with a stock ride height. And for the camber - I'm just looking for an easy out. I'm pretty sure there isn't one.

Get some thing like tokico hp's they arent too expensive and can be used with stock springs, they are for the road though so I dont know how they would do off road. They are also a little stiffer than stock but nice ride quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump - still trying to figure out the camber thing. I've asked a few tire/alignment shops, and they don't seem to have an answer.

Are there adjustable camber kits that would be easy enough to work with myself?

Because the 17" wheel is wider than OEM, it sits differently (apparently). Something must be off, because the tire is wearing much faster on the inside edge than the outside, both front and rear. It can't be an alignment issue, because the OEM size tires (for the winter) wear perfectly.

Well, tire wear like that would be an alignment issue. So get an alignment.

For adjustable camber, get a camber kit like Skunk2 or Omnipower. These actually allow for several more degrees of adjustable camber than stock, as opposed to the ingalls style which is not as versatile.

Archived