91 CRX clutch cable problems?

draybook

So recently, my clutch cable has been giving me trouble. The pedal will set semi high and will engage fine it seems. The trouble is that I literally have to jerk the shifter into 1st and 2nd. is there a certain way to make sure that the cable is installed right? I'm not Mr Goodwrench but I'm sure I have it set in right and tight enough. Also, when slowing down and shifting back into 2nd when turning, the car jerks a bit.

Also another problem is that when I'm am coming to a stop or basically slowing down and I have it both in neutral and the clutch engaged, it dies every now and then. I can start the car back up fine. It's only when I'm in neutral and the clutch is in. It also idles low and a bit rough when it happens. I was thinking that's either the distributor or the idle isn't set high enough.

For w/e it's worth, this is a 91 CRX with a dohc ZC swap. The distributor is from a 89-91 Integra and the clutch cable was for a 91 crx.

Also, how far in does the metal end need to go into the holding bracket right above the tranny?

Thanks for any advice and I can be contacted on AIM at draybook if anyone has any quick ideas.

Here's a pic of the end I'm talking about, where it connects to the adjuster knob and the tranny.

100_3175.jpg

its fine on the bottom , the clutch fork end. where the adjuster is sitting in the rubber and going through the bracket , its wayyyy outa whack. that should be sitting in the middle of that rubber. and that little tit hanging off the rubber is what keeps the adjuster from turning on its own while driving.

now , where does the clutch pedal start to grab as you let it out , should be halfway. you should be able to grab that clutch fork(the piece the able actuates) and wiggle ever so slightly when theres no load on the clutch , its called freeplay and its very important. also , in the car , the clutch pedal itself should have freeplay as well , at least a 1/2". in other words , the clutch pedal shouldnt do anything for the first 1/2" , just free. something looks jerryrigged there , like that cable doesnt fit in that bracket properly.

its fine on the bottom , the clutch fork end. where the adjuster is sitting in the rubber and going through the bracket , its wayyyy outa whack. that should be sitting in the middle of that rubber. and that little tit hanging off the rubber is what keeps the adjuster from turning on its own while driving.

now , where does the clutch pedal start to grab as you let it out , should be halfway. you should be able to grab that clutch fork(the piece the able actuates) and wiggle ever so slightly when theres no load on the clutch , its called freeplay and its very important. also , in the car , the clutch pedal itself should have freeplay as well , at least a 1/2". in other words , the clutch pedal shouldnt do anything for the first 1/2" , just free. something looks jerryrigged there , like that cable doesnt fit in that bracket properly.

It's grabbing about 1/3 of the way up, letting off the clutch. And yeah, there's freeplay on the bottom end and the clutch itself will go about 2 inches down towards the brake before it gets stiff.

Ok, just cranked it up again and it seems like it's having trouble disengaging. I have to yank the piss out of the shifter to get it out of 1st and to put it in any gear.

your symptoms of getting a jerk in the car when downshifting even though clutch is in is telling me your clutch is not disengaging all the way , meaning your car is biting into the gear rather blending into it. this is cause even though you have the clutch down , the clutch disc is still making contact with the pressure plate and flywheel , creating load on the tranny.

you need to tighten it up some , only a few turns it sounds like. you have too much freeplay. its too loose. if you tighten it up , and it goes back to where it was , its cause that rubber tit thats supposed to hold the adjusting nut in place is not doing its job. look at it , its all out of center and fuked up kinda. tighten it up some dude before you hurt your tranny. make it so you have only a 1/2" of freeplay on the peddle.

your symptoms of getting a jerk in the car when downshifting even though clutch is in is telling me your clutch is not disengaging all the way , meaning your car is biting into the gear rather blending into it. this is cause even though you have the clutch down , the clutch disc is still making contact with the pressure plate and flywheel , creating load on the tranny.

you need to tighten it up some , only a few turns it sounds like. you have too much freeplay. its too loose. if you tighten it up , and it goes back to where it was , its cause that rubber tit thats supposed to hold the adjusting nut in place is not doing its job. look at it , its all out of center and fuked up kinda. tighten it up some dude before you hurt your tranny. make it so you have only a 1/2" of freeplay on the peddle.

What should I be tightening up? I've tightened the adjusting knob all the way.

you have that cable tightened all the way down? thats no good than , youl need a cable out of a 90-91 integra prolly. or a ZC cable. that civic cable is too long.

you have that cable tightened all the way down? thats no good than , youl need a cable out of a 90-91 integra prolly. or a ZC cable. that civic cable is too long.

I guess. Like I said, I don't know exactly where the threaded part is supposed to be seated.

wherever the clutch is adjusted properly. do you understand? where the nut sits on the threads means nothing. how old is that cable? could be stretched to hell too , they get like that. but guessing by the shiny stopper , not that old. i wonder if your clutch fork is bent or somin.

wherever the clutch is adjusted properly. do you understand? where the nut sits on the threads means nothing. how old is that cable? could be stretched to hell too , they get like that. but guessing by the shiny stopper , not that old. i wonder if your clutch fork is bent or somin.

Yeah, the cable is only like 2 weeks old. Brother in law is going to check it out while I'm at work tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems that the clutch arm is bending/bent and on the verge of breaking, because even when the adjuster was fully tightened, it would give about 3 inches of slack when depressing the clutch and it wouldn't engage. Going to go today and pull a tranny from the local yard, only problem is I've never done it so it might take a while.

Thanks for all the input though.

Archived