How tough are the D motors anyway?

Kicksome123

Well my jackass mechanic diddnt do a good job on the whole crank thing(motor started knocking again and I never got on it ever) So different mechanic also my favorite one and hes getting me a new motor yay. Although I wanted to put it in, parents dont trust me that I can do it so I was wondering how much beating does it take for a D to get really messed up??? I never really got on the one I had much so what all does it take?

I've seen them run often on only three cylinders. They can take hell.

I once drove a Del Sol that had a timing belt pop on it, it drove decent until it warmed up, where it'd do nothing more than bog way down, but never cut off..you'd have to rev it WAAAAAAAY high to get it to respond.

I once drove a Del Sol that had a timing belt pop on it, it drove decent until it warmed up, where it'd do nothing more than bog way down, but never cut off..you'd have to rev it WAAAAAAAY high to get it to respond.

um...you cant run an engine without a timing belt...... seeing how that runs the cam, which runs the valves....

running the car through its rev range and adjusting fuel and ignition maps till air/fuel ratios are as good as you can get across the rev range. and of course no detonation.

um...you cant run an engine without a timing belt...... seeing how that runs the cam, which runs the valves....

.. Obviously.

I was hoping you'd have assumed I'd put another timing belt on it. Because I did.

LOL.... oh i got ya. by the sound of it, the belt popped off, and you kept on driving.

You could definitely tune it yourself. All tuning is is reading A/F ratios, and getting them where you want them, thats all.

Its like, um... what did guys do before dyno tuning? oh yeah, street tune. and they were using carbs too, much harder to tune, and more knowledge required than just plugging in a few numbers in a computer.

EDIT: They didn't even have wideband O2 sensor to tell them where it was rich and lean. All in the ears, and in the seat!

I've only had mine for about 13k miles, but man, have I beat the crap out of it on occassion. It takes it like a champ. I love my D16, but I just feel like I'm ready for more power now.

boost that hoe! im on turbod16 forums and im looking at all there cool set-ups! Its awesome.

there is a vid floating around, a couple of guys took an ek, drained the oil and filled it up with water. they did burnouts for like 15mins and the car shut off and wouldnt start so they drained the water out filled it back up with oil and it ran fine

I didn't watch that link, but if it is the same video, they just poured more water in and it started back up.

holy crap that motor took a beating. gues si dont have to worry about being kinda hard on my D16z6 at all..hahahah

Yeh, you do.

It depends on whether or not your motor was made on a Monday, or a Friday. ;) Motors made on monday's are quality built, those on Friday's were rushed through.

not when it comes to honda my man.

I was being sarcastic. In all seriousness, it's been documented somewhere that LS1 engines that were made on Monday's generally dyno higher numbers in stock form than their counterparts created on friday's.

Archived