engine light trouble... seems like a really weird problem to me..

misterd0505

alien hey guys. i looked and didn't see this anywhere in the forum, but if it is i apologize. here's my problem: i've got a 99 honda accord lx f23... i just put a cold air intake on it, and it was running fine for a couple days. then all of a sudden when i was getting onto the highway to go to work yesterday, the "check engine" light came on, and my car wouldn't go past 4grand in any gear. when i got to work, i checked the light and it said "manufacturer controlled air and fuel metering". thought that was weird cuz it doesn't have a MAFS... so i just cleared the code and it ran great. but today the same thing happened when i was on my way home from work. i was thinking maybe an IAT sensor or a MAP sensor, but someone told me it's because of my intake. i guess there's too much air getting sucked in and it's too cold? any help is greatly appreciated so i can fix this problem, thanks guys.

got a 99 honda accord lx f23... i just put a cold air intake on it, and it was running fine for a couple days. then all of a sudden when i was getting onto the highway to go to work yesterday, the "check engine" light came on, and my car wouldn't go past 4grand in any gear. i guess there's too much air getting sucked in and it's too cold?

sounds kinda wierd to me...possibly...

could be an O2 sensor. my dads car ran horribly due to a bad O2sensor, but the difference is his car would exceed 4grand but would run horribly. im just voicing my opinion but could be several things.

ohh and the more air the better.lol. and the cold air intake is designed to bring in cold air (hence the name)the cold air isnt the prob.

What is the code you are getting for the CEL?

Typically, for a 6th gen, not running over 4,000 rpm's (Actually, 4200 I believe, I'll have to look) means the VTec is failing, so the engine won't go past the point where the VTEC should be kicking in (about 4200 on our 6th gen's). If you can give me the code, I can check more accurately. There's a complete list of CEL codes on 6th Gen Accord if you want to look for yourself.

no i don't think it's my intake either cuz every vehicle i've owned has had an intake and i've never had a problem... the light came back on yesterday and i checked it at work... P1259 which, in the honda maual, says "VTEC system malfunction"... my guess is that it's either the filter on the solenoid, or the MAP sensor.

I checked on the website I gave you about that (I did a search for P1259) and it seems the majority of people are saying a P1259 was given to them for their oil being low. i.e., there isn't enough oil getting to your camshaft, and thus vtec is malfunctioning. A few people made some other suggestions as well, but nothing pertaining to a CAI or a SRI or anything else with the air flow.

Edit: I just read too that someone was told by Honda that code could be from the mass-air flow sensor as well. FYI.

Archived