It is showing sighs of death!

civic_crazy91

Well today i was driving my 91 civic, and i came to a stop and it died. it wouldnt start and stay running for more that 3 sec unless i held the key on. but i figured out i could keep it running if i had the key and start but not engage the starter and i mdme it home even though i couldn shift. i had to hold the key. the guy at the parts house sait it was the ingnition switch but idk...so if u can help, PLEASE DO!!!

Thanks,

civic_crazy91

Well today i was driving my 91 civic, and i came to a stop and it died. it wouldnt start and stay running for more that 3 sec unless i held the key on. but i figured out i could keep it running if i had the key and start but not engage the starter and i mdme it home even though i couldn shift. i had to hold the key. the guy at the parts house sait it was the ingnition switch but idk...so if u can help, PLEASE DO!!!

Thanks,

civic_crazy91

I havent heard about that in a honda before. But in GMs and Nissan it is usually the ignition switch(not ignition lock cylinder).If you replaced it already and it does not work give me the every symptons I would like to know for future ref. Maybe can help.

id say thats a distributor problem. CPS maybe. sound like timing is off? its prolly a dizzy. if it backfired , than try taking the cap off the dizzy and seeing if the rotor button is fastened properly and intact , they come loose frequent.

id say thats a distributor problem. CPS maybe. sound like timing is off? its prolly a dizzy. if it backfired , than try taking the cap off the dizzy and seeing if the rotor button is fastened properly and intact , they come loose frequent.

if it is a stock dx it doesnt have a CPS .... im thinkin its a distributer issue or maybe a broken down coil.

every single one of them has a CPS dude. any one thats fuel injected anyways. and its in the dizzy , and thats what his problem is i assume. could be a coil possibly , im sticking with dizzy.

Yeah but the dizzy has to get a signal from the ignition switch to work, and he has to keep the key turned to keep the car running. Sounds like the dizzy is fine he just needs to replace the ignition switch.

Well today i was driving my 91 civic, and i came to a stop and it died. it wouldnt start and stay running for more that 3 sec unless i held the key on. but i figured out i could keep it running if i had the key and start but not engage the starter and i mdme it home even though i couldn shift. i had to hold the key. the guy at the parts house sait it was the ingnition switch but idk...

Get the ignition switch mine did the exact same thing got the new one and put it in fixed like new.

Archived