Boost Controlers

This is my first HP turbo engine, I just need to clear something up. All of the turbo charged gasoline engines that I have ever worked on simply used a vacuum actuated waste gate. With these electronic boost controllers, exactly how does that work? Do they use electronic solenoids that control the vacuum to the waste gate, or do they actually use electronically actuated wastegates?

Electronic solenoids control the vacuum to the wastegate. Wouldn't be vacuum at that point tho, it would be boost lol. But yeah.

thats how they can help you build boost quicker. with your normal wastegate by itself, the exhaust would start to bleed off before you reach your set boost, and not allow you to reach max as quick. Now with the controller you can set the solenoid to open when it reaches max boost, and instantly opens your wastegate to start dumping exhaust.

plus you can run whatever spring you want in your wastegate since you can run (20lbs on an 8lb spring) because the spring no longer controls boost.

Archived