Maybe a swap?

les.delancy

How about this plan guys? I really want an unmolested '95 VTEC, but I see what you guy mean about how hard they to find. So, here are my questions. If I decided to go with a swap, how much work would it be to upgrade the suspension and brakes on an S model if I found one really cheap? Would it be much much better to go with an Si? I just don't know if the S and Si even have a foundation that can be built to perform on the VTECs level. And the big one; opinions on the best engine to swap in. The GSR seems to be the most popular. That's a 1.8L DOHC VTEC, right? From the popularity I am assuming this engine holds up well and has a lot of aftermarket support, true? I am planning a massive engine build, so I'm looking more for a buildable engine; and stock HP doesn't really matter. Also, how tough is this swap? I don't mind hard work, that's all the fun. I'm just trying to avoid too much custom fab work. Are mounts and the like readily available? Would I need to get the motor and tranny or would the 1.5/1.6 manual match up and perform properly with the GSR engine? Also, do I need the ECM, or can I just reprogram the OBD1 module that will be in a '95 Sol? THANKS!

I have spent a lot of time reading since that last post. This site is full of great info. It just takes a while to sift through and soak it all in. I'm starting to think a swap is the way to go. But, as always, I have more questions. Do the Hondata systems tie in between the engine and ECU, or does it replace the ECU?

This one is an opinion from you experienced guys. I've narrowed it down to two choices (for now). I'm thinkig either a GSR or building a "mini-me" (I think that's what they called it). Would the 1.5 bottom end from an S model be what they are talking about using? Which of the two would you guys go with and why? Remember I'm trying to build a streetable car here, so a wide power band is ideal. Thanks!

GSR swaps aren't much more difficult or rare than B16s, which is pretty much plug-n-play as I've heard (as far as swaps go). I'd highly recommend this for what you're doing since you're looking for some fairly high hp numbers. Sure you can build and boost a D, but the aftermarket is better for B series engines and they when you swap one in right off the bat it will have better power and fewer miles, both of which is nice.

Go for an Si in my opinion. I have an S and that's fine for my purposes (I don't need all the power that you seem to be used to with your muscle cars) but I think the 4-wheel disc brakes and the nicities like cruise control, power locks, and power steering might be something you'd like. Plus, when you swap in a GSR engine you can sell me your D16Z6 for cheap!

hondata piggy backs your ecu. it takes control of the fuel and ignition timing from the ecu. no wider power band than a vtec engine , thats the whole point of vtec. widin the power band. go with a GSR dude. or b16. B series if you can afford it.

Awesome,you guys ahve helped a lot ( I asuure you I'm not done picking your bains yet) ! I'm leaning strongly towards a B18C1 swap in an Si. WHere was that thread that lsited available colors by year and model?

If I'm going this far into the engine mechanicals, do I reall need a swapable motor? Won't the alternator, PS pump, AC comp ect.and brackets transfer right over from the D16 to the B18C1? Wouldn't it be smarter to save money by just starting with a block and head to save money if I'm going to replace bottom end rotating assembly and top end components anyway? Will my stock sensors from te Si work with the GSR? Does the AM offer HP sensors?

Also, I haven't found much talk about actual model numbers for trannys. I'm sure some have more strength and better gearing than others. I know I want a hydro tranny with an LSD,I ust don't know any specific model numbers to search for.

Enough questions in one post yet? Sorry! Thanks!

OK, hold on!! I've got to apply the brakes here (my wife put me back in check)! I'm forgetting that this car is not for me to drive. I could cram a 1000HP monster in there and still be able to drive it. But, my daughter is not an experienced racer. As much as I hate to do it, I'm gona have to back up. I've made up my mind (finally). I'm going to find a '95 VTEC. I would like the dark green, but black will do. It's going to take some digging, because I don't want something that someone else has already modified. Then I'm going to build the hell out of the b16a3. Beef the bottom end as much as possible, build the head, and turbo it. A T03 or T03/04 hybrid turbo will do just fine. Maybe around 20lbs of boost. Upgraded fuel system (pump,rail,injectors,regulator). And a Hondata s300. Then I will beef the handling and brakes. I'm not doing anything to the body unless she picks it out. After hers is done, maybe I'll ditch one of my Jeeps and go insane building myself a Honda land rocket!

But still a few questions (and I'm sure a million more to come). Which ECU did these cars come with? Does the tranny come with an LSD? If not, does anyone make an LSD kit for them. I know I'm capable of opening up the transaxle and install an LSD, I just don't know if that's an option.

I want to say thanks! You guys have been really helpful and I hope you don't mind if I continue to pick your brains. It's really boring over here, I work 12 hours a day, seven days a week and then it's still just like "now what?"! I have all the time in the world to sit around and think, scheme, and research. By the time I get home all I will have left to do is actually build it!! This will be a great thing for the two of us to do together, I have a lot of lost time to make up for! So, THANKS AGAIN!!

That thing's still gonna be a little rocket with a fully built and turboed B16a3 in it. Hope your daughter knows her stuff.

PM the guy selling a 95 VTEC that just posted recently and get some details from him. Life might just work out that well!

Thanks, I PM'd the guy. We'll see what happens. I did find an add in LSD, it's $1,000. Wow, I guess you've got to pay to play! I would still like to know what the ECM number on the OE computer is if anyone knows. THANKS!

Whoa, 1k for LSD?

I dunno if it's just something I saw for D series but I think you can add LSD to a full swap kit from hmotors for like 300 bucks. I'd look around before shelling out 1000 Amurican Dollars for one unless you know it's a really good one or unless B series LSDs are dramatically more expensive.

Edit: By the way, it's funny how much you're online researching your stuff while you're on duty. When my cousin was in the airforce he was the same way. He and his bunkmates were making rap songs on his laptop just to pass the time.

LSD quaife for b series usually run $600-$800. Personaly I think the vtec model is the best base to work off of. if that deal doesn't work out just be patient. It took me a year to find the right one. also, it is the middle of winter. it will be easier to find one mid summer just fyi. your plans sound pretty good, it looks like you've done some research, which is great. that sounds pretty similar to a lot of setups I've seen, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding help if you get stuck. make sure you tune the car after it's built.

Archived