P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) Help

djm1k0

Hey i'm hoping somone can help me out with this problem. we were driving home on the highway tonight and the check engine light came on, we were fine no issues the whole time on the highway. as soon as we got off the hwy when we stopped at the first light the car stalled. the it started right up again however then it bassically was going to stall unless i kept on the gas a bit. When i came home i checked for the code with the scanner and got the following code:

The code is P0135 - O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

can anyone let me know what this means and if it's easy to fix if so how to fix it and about how much the parts will cost if needed.

Would this error code cause the car to stall ??

thanks!!!

Would this Sensor cause the car to feel as if it is stalling ? or make it stall or do you feel that may be a seperate issue ? is it easy to replace myself ? thanks your any help you provide.

sounds like you need a primary O2 sensor to me , one located in the manifold. they are heated oxygen sensors.

I would think it would be a short because thats an odd code... Thats just MHO

not a wierd code at all. the internals of the O2 sensor have failed. heater circuit to be exact , lol.

cranny so here's what happened i came home changed the o2 sensor, changed the spark plugs, wires, distr, cap, rotor and put in some fuel injector cleaner. then i hooked up the scanner and and reset the light however the light came right back in in like 5 seconds. we drove the car around for like an hour and a half and no stalls however when we stop at a light or stop sign and the car idles, it seems to idle rough very low and then will steady out, but if we put on the a/c then the car seems to struggle and almost stall. any ideas? anything else you can think about trying ? pretty frustrating. any more help would be appreciated.

thanks again !!!!

yes it would.

giving you same code? if it is , and it still idles like crap , whats your exhaust like? your catalytic converter could be plugged inside , although the way it just started out of the blue makes me think maybe not. i take it by you giving it a tune up thats its been a while? lol , i dont see PCV valve in that list. try cleaning your EGR valve out. so many things associated with idle you know what i mean. EVAP system. when you changed the O2 sensor , did you look at the wires? make sure nothing is burnt through of broken.

yes sir ! same code. exhaust is stock but all pipes and muffler has been replaced minus the cat. yes it has a been a long time for a tune up. it's my girlfriends car so trying to get her back up and running.

- where and what is the PCV valve ? easy to do myself?

- same goes for EGR valve what, and where is it and is it easy to clean and or get to?

- EVAP System ?

yeah i hear ya i know it can be a bunch of things but if you can give me some pointers on the above i'd really appreciate it, i can give em a whirl tomorrow and see whats up.

as far as the wires on the o2 sensor they looked alright, but i was thinkng that being that i replaced the sensor, maybe it's the other end of wires that runs to the computer ? is this a possibility and or a new part that i can just buy and swap out?

thanks again for your help !!!!

giving you same code? if it is , and it still idles like crap , whats your exhaust like? your catalytic converter could be plugged inside , although the way it just started out of the blue makes me think maybe not. i take it by you giving it a tune up thats its been a while? lol , i dont see PCV valve in that list. try cleaning your EGR valve out. so many things associated with idle you know what i mean. EVAP system. when you changed the O2 sensor , did you look at the wires? make sure nothing is burnt through of broken.

bump

yes sir ! same code. exhaust is stock but all pipes and muffler has been replaced minus the cat. yes it has a been a long time for a tune up. it's my girlfriends car so trying to get her back up and running.

- where and what is the PCV valve ? easy to do myself?

- same goes for EGR valve what, and where is it and is it easy to clean and or get to?

- EVAP System ?

yeah i hear ya i know it can be a bunch of things but if you can give me some pointers on the above i'd really appreciate it, i can give em a whirl tomorrow and see whats up.

as far as the wires on the o2 sensor they looked alright, but i was thinkng that being that i replaced the sensor, maybe it's the other end of wires that runs to the computer ? is this a possibility and or a new part that i can just buy and swap out?

thanks again for your help !!!!

you still havent told me what kind of car it is? lol , lets start there now. im sorry bud you replaced an o2 to no avail , but im not fukin with you , i know the cars and want to help you(just letting you know cause i know its frustrating spending money with no fix) , just hard when i cant stand in front of the car. these kind of prolems are hard to diagnose. so start with what kind of car , lol , and go to www.hondahookup.com , download the manual for your car(after registering) , you have tools the average person does not , so im thinking you do know about cars , maybe just not hondas. so lets start there.

thanks for getting back to me, sorry didn't realize that i never told you the car model, i know your not fukin with with me, so i apologize, it's a 2000 Honda Civic LX. I know you know you stuff as i have read other posts of yours so i appreciate the help, i also understand how hard it is to fix somehting when your not in front of it. I have some care knowledge from what i have learned from past experience, or online research or just watching others. any additional help you can provide will be great and i registered for hondahookup but cannot find where to d/l the manual can you provide a link if possible.

thanks,

you still havent told me what kind of car it is? lol , lets start there now. im sorry bud you replaced an o2 to no avail , but im not fukin with you , i know the cars and want to help you(just letting you know cause i know its frustrating spending money with no fix) , just hard when i cant stand in front of the car. these kind of prolems are hard to diagnose. so start with what kind of car , lol , and go to www.hondahookup.com , download the manual for your car(after registering) , you have tools the average person does not , so im thinking you do know about cars , maybe just not hondas. so lets start there.

cranny i downloaded the manual and after looking at the diagram it appears that i changed sensor 2 and not sensor 1 which is most likely the reason the light is still on, however don't know if the stalling is directly related either way i'm a dumbass i apologize. let me check it out later when i get home.

alrighty cranny we're all set, last night i changed the correct sensor and ended up changin the other one out as well so at this point with 2 new sensors and all the other stuff the Check Engine Light is off, the idle seems to be very smooth and no hesitation. I think we're in business. Hey listen i wanted to thank you again for your help i really do appreciate it !!!!

right on dude , keep us posted. bad O2 sensors make cars idle like crap. and hard on gas.

Archived