86 Civic Wagon rust issues

Aurelius

I went to check out a 1986 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon (1.5l 4cyl 5 speed) someone is offering for sale in my area. Astonishingly, it only has 15,000 miles, and the seller has the original 1986 title. I almost don't believe it, but that's not the issue at hand.

Basically, there seems to be a pretty bad rust issue on the underside. There is external rust on the body itself, but nothing major and no through holes. But where what I assume is the rear axle meets the rear tires on both sides, there is a lot of flaky rust that can be knocked off with a finger swipe. I don't know how normal this is, or if it's something that should seriously deter me from buying the vehicle.

I live in Missouri now, which is very humid, and will likely be moving to a particularly snowy part of North Carolina within a year. So rust might be more of an issue in these climates than it would be elsewhere.

The guy who's selling it said the car may have sat somewhere for some time. I mean, if it only has 15,000 miles, it probably sat somewhere for most of the 20 years it's been around. He bought it from a dealer who told him that there was only one other owner which was an old couple (but they may have just said that, who knows.)

I wish I could have taken some pictures, but as I said, the rust was dark, very flaky and gave me a bad feeling. I would love this car, but I don't want to make a big mistake. Any suggestions?

why do you want such an old car? you know if you have a car, and dont drive it, and you dont properly store it. its really bad for the engine.

It's not that I WANT an old car, exactly. I was just impressed with the mileage and whatnot. I didn't know the extent of the age-effects such as the rust until I saw it in person. That got me thinking maybe that Honda spent way too much time sitting outside nor being driven or something.

I also admit I liked the novelty of having a 20 year old Honda, whether that sounds sane or not. I wish I could slap whoever didn't store the car right. Because seriously, only 15,000 miles on an 86? That's awesome! Or, would be... if it weren't unawesomely rusty.

It's not that I WANT an old car, exactly. I was just impressed with the mileage and whatnot. I didn't know the extent of the age-effects such as the rust until I saw it in person. That got me thinking maybe that Honda spent way too much time sitting outside nor being driven or something.

I also admit I liked the novelty of having a 20 year old Honda, whether that sounds sane or not. I wish I could slap whoever didn't store the car right. Because seriously, only 15,000 miles on an 86? That's awesome! Or, would be... if it weren't unawesomely rusty.

i came across an ef sedan like that. with like 14 thousand miles. it was only 4 thousand doo. i mean. the inside was clean, not a spec of dirt on the carpet. the rugs loooked bomb. the pedals were clean. it was just amazing.

unless you really plan to put your heart & soul into fully restoring that civic, i dont think it would be your best choice, i mean it would kick ass to rebuild the engine, and have a competitive AWD hatch, but unless you have the money and time, your best is to move on

an ra from my school has one of the awd civics. one day he was b1tchen cuz he ran pics of it threw the laundry. it doesnt have an visable rust, it is in pretty good condition. dont kno much more about it cuz i dont realy kno the kid

Archived