autocross

lilcrxthatculd

i drive an 87' crx si and i want to start doing autocross. as of right now i only have a cutom cai, but after christmas is when alot of my upgrades are going to be made. i'm going to keep the d15 (dont hate, its my choice) what are some mods that would help me with my autocross runs. for the first couple times im just going to drive it with stock suspension until i get a feel of it, but then im going to do alot of suspension mods. any info. you can give me about this will help out alot. thanks

yeah, i knew suspension was going to be big, so ill invest alot of money in that. i read on a number of sites thatd it be good to invest in some racing tires and lgihtweight rims to use on raceday, so ill prolly get some racing tires mounted on steelies or something (i know they aint the lightest thing, but itll be cheap). this is also guna be a dd, well i wont drive it it horrible weather. im ordering a header next week, so thatll be a quick install and a lil more fun driving the car afterwards.

There are a couple things you need to think about first. What class and level of competition do you want to be in? If you really want to win, you have to pick a class and study allowable mods for that class. The Crx is very competiive in different forms. Yours may run in H Stock in SCCA. For stock you can only change your exhaust cat back, shocks (not coilovers) if you use the original mounting points and type of shocks as stock, brake pads, sway bar bushings and tires. Your wheels have to be the same diameter and offset as stock with an offset allowance of +/- 1/4". You are almost better off spending money on anything but race tires until you have some of the handling and driving sorted out. The tires will be expensive and you will get a fraction of the use out of them until you learn driving.

Your CAI will automatically give you the option of bumping up to STS2, C Street Prepared or Street Mod depending on what else you do. STS is limited to street tires with a UTOG no lower than 200, I believe.

If you only want to spend $400, get the Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks, change your bushings, buy some Hankook Ventus RS2 or the Falken Azenis. Take the time to find someone good and learn how to drive or go to an autocross driving school. The best in the land is Evolution Performance Driving:

http://autocross.server269.com/evolution/modules/news/

The current SCCA Solo II rules can be found at their site www.scca.org but the new one will not be out until the new year.

Let me know where you are and how serious you want to get about it and I may steer you in the right direction.

• 11 months later...

That vid got me reminiscing about the good ol' days when I was stomping around in the 1987 CRX. I would still like to get into the local SCCA Solo II scene with a purpose built CRX.

I remember back in the day, the thing was to get the redline as high as possible.

I heard this morning the F1 motors usually run at about 18,000 rpm.

Has anyone on here ever played with getting more rpms out of a good B series motor? How high? Ever take it out to an SCCA meet?

I think a Honda twin turbo V8 with a 5 inch hydraulic sealed clutch at 18,000 rpms is sexy.

Archived