1991 CRX main relay trouble

So, a few nights ago, my CRX started sputtering and the engine light flickered off and on. The car would start after the first or second try but would again sputter and flicker and then die. I was able to get it home and let it sit. My brother in law was able to come look at it and we found that the main relay was only getting 10 volts, thus explaining the sputtering and flickering.

So, he tinkers with it for a bit and he's able to solve the problem of the voltage shortage but now there's a new problem. Now, the main relay won't kick power to the fuel pump. It can be bypassed and will kick on but now it won't turn over at all.

So, I'm looking for any help I can get as to what anyone thinks it might be. My father in law is looking at it since he's great with most cars and with electrical stuff, but he's not too experienced with imports. My brother in law is great mechanically with imports, just not with most electrical stuff.

If anyone can throw me some ideas, that would be great, thanks.

Just for the record, it's a 1991 CRX, running a DOHC ZC motor, with a 14b turbo. We've checked it with another relay and it works, so does the ECU/CPU. It's getting fuel and spark also.

Actually, that was in response to this.

Just for the record, it's a 1991 CRX, running a DOHC ZC motor, with a 14b turbo. We've checked it with another relay and it works, so does the ECU/CPU. It's getting fuel and spark also.

If it works with one relay, but not the other, you'd think that 2+2=4. Apparently not where he comes from.

Actually, that was in response to this.

If it works with one relay, but not the other, you'd think that 2+2=4. Apparently not where he comes from.

I meatn that the other relay has power and also gives power to everything but the fuel pump. But thanks for trying to be a smartass. Only took you like 4 days to come up with that witty retort.

Anyhow, I've been able to bypass the relay with a toggle switch for the fuel pump, but that's just a quick ghetto fix. Hopefully I can get it fixed for good soon.

But thanks for trying to be a smartass. Only took you like 4 days to come up with that witty retort.

Anyhow, I've been able to bypass the relay with a toggle switch for the fuel pump, but that's just a quick ghetto fix. Hopefully I can get it fixed for good soon.

.pwned.

Glad to hear its working, dude. 8)

Yeah, I bypassed it with a toggle switch, which is what my brother in law planned on doing anyways, and it runs fine. Now I have time to figure out what's wrong between the cpu and the main relay.

Until you burn something up. Things are meant to work one way for a reason. You're probably pushing too much/not enough current and most likely will burn something out if you keep it wired the way it is for too long. Good luck with that.

Archived