86- 1.5 carburater

seeanew

Hi Y'all,

I could use some advice. Recently I bought an 86 civic hatchback with 115K miles on it that was not abused.

No rust, good body and glass, poor drivers seat---and the other seats are tired too. I am not a mechanic, but I appreciate a good running, efficient car, and there is another Honda in the family, a 2000, 4 cyl Accord that is a joy to drive and never breaks.

Anyhow, I just put on new 13 inch tires, serviced the tranny, replaced all the belts, adjusted the clutch, and it is giving me about 40mpg (which is just what I wanted). The mechanic I use, whom I respect, told me that when the carburater goes, the car is worthless. Therefore, he said, put little money in it and when the carb dies, junk it. Is this true? Somehow I just can't believe it. He said rebuilt carbs are quite poor---so don't go that way.

I see that Weber makes a new carb for my little critter. Has anyone ever used one of these? Are absolutely NEW OEM carbs, not rebuilt ones, available? Anywhere?

I am having a love affair with my little hatchback (I need a hatchback because I am an artist and need the carrying space), and I just can't believe that I can't keep this car for many years if I care for it well.

I need new struts. Is there any way to do this inexpensively? I like to replace the radio/tape player. Any suggestions? If I wanted larger tires, next time, which way should I go?

Remember, my bank is very small. How many wealthy artists do you know? Any and all advice would be enormously appreciated.

Thanks,

Glenn

seeanew

man thats the most retarded thing i ever heard , lol. is he trying to say YOUR car has the last functioning honda carb in the entire world?? HOLY MAN SELL IT FOR THOUSANDS , hahaha. if you can find a weber carb for your car , thats an awsome mod dude , but it will throw a wrench into your gas mileage , lol. you should look into if an 88-91 D series intake manny will fit on that old D15. im not sure about it. would be awsome just to convert it to MPFI.

Thanks Cranny.

Your humor made me laugh out loud! Remember, you are dealing with a true novice, so I don't know what a MPFI is. According to the carburater promo, it should improve perfprmance AND give good gas mileage. With gas at $3.25/gal here in southern Cal, economy is really important. Any other thinking?

Thanks,

Glenn

seeanew

Archived