h22 head on h23 block

Theory

at work today i was thinking about how an h22 head on an h23 block would work. i would think it would work if u drill holes for oil in the block for the vtec, but im not sure about the valve clearences with the pistons now that you have increased displace. if anyone has tried this before has any information it would be nice to have.

It works, but you need a new TB, intake manifold, a few pulleys, etc.

It's not your average weekend job. Time wise, its about the same as swapping in an H22.. actually more if you include finding the parts. Money wise, it's a little cheaper. Also, it won't rev as high due to the rods being shorter and stouter, but will take more powa.

the only pulleys i would be using is crank pully, alternator and water pump pully. they are the same on h23 as h22 so pulleys no problem. as far as tb and manifold i would switch those out anyways to a bigger tb and manifold. and it only takes about 4 hours to slap a new head on a block if you know what your doing. all you need is torque specs and clearences for valves. correct me if im wrong.

Those are actually the ones you have to replace.

The H23 has 5 thread and the H22 is a 6 thread.. sorry man.

For the TB and IM just go aftermarket.. about the same price and you don't need to find the parts. That's what I'd do!

EDIT: Actually, on second thought you might just want to mod the H23. I was going over the cost (thought about doing this) and it would be about $500 for the head, plus the ecu, tuning, water pump, oil lines, etc.. for a mere 30hp or so.

For what you spend, you could get stage 2 cams and get the same/more power with better reliability.. and a mean idle.. lol

i have 4 of every h series motor in my garage so parts is not a problem. also even with all the things u listed u still wont have as much power as a stock h22a1.and i would much rather have screaming vtec then mean idle.

Archived