Check Engine Light

fxcarden

I have a 2004 Accord EX V6. Today, I had to run an errand (13 miles each way). When I started the car, the A/C was on AUTO. I accidentally hit OFF, and then, within 5 seconds, hit AUTO again. Almost immediately, the CHECK ENGINE light came on, and stayed on. I got to my destination, turned the car off, did my business, got back in the car, started it, and the light was still ON. I then drove 13 miles back, and stopped to pick up lunch. Again, I parked the car, turned the engine off, and then started it. The light was still ON, however, after driving about 1/2 mile, it went off all by itself.......

Questions:

Possible cause ?. Could it have been the A/C incident ?.

Temporary glitch ?. Car runs fine otherwise. It just had all its maintenance done........

Thanks.

The electro magnet in the clutch of the a/c compressor takes quite a bit of juice (electricity) to run... I wonder if turning it on an off rapidly dropped the battery voltage below what the computer considers acceptable operating range? Also, when the compressor does kick in, you will notice that engine RPM changes, maybe it dropped for a second below some acceptable range?

I know when mine kicks on my headlights flicker from the power drain.

just a thought, I have no real basis for this.

My '01 Accord fluctuates between 1 and 5 idiot lights on... not so bad in the day but at night it's annoying :(

If you really want to know, you can take it somewhere with a diagnostic tool and they can look it up.

Archived