Interesting Transmission Question

mylesofsmyles

I currently drive a DA Integra, but have been annoyed with how high my engine revs at speed. My car has a 4 speed automatic, and when at speeds above 60 mph, the car revs at 3000 rpm or higher. I would like to leave the car an automatic but want to aprehend this inconvienience. I have researched a bit, and think I have decided to opt for a motor/tranny swap with an H22 setup. I am aware that the most recent Prelude came equipped with an H22 and a tiptronic-type transmission when optioned with an automatic. I found out though, the transmission was also a 4 speed. Will i experience the same problem or is the final gear ratio different in the prelude to help my situation???

maybe im wrong but your car being an auto shouldnt be revvin that high at only 60 mph. OD in those auto trannys is geared high man.

On the gen V Prelude Honda changed a couple of things, primarily to make it more mod-friendly. (ie changing the wheels to 5 lug) I'm not sure whether the H22 tranny will bolt right up or not.., especially to a B16/18. First of all, you have the computer problems. The computer is set to change gears at certain revs and conditions, and the software isn't meant to just take manual shifting. A piggyback ECU or some hardcore rewiring may be necessary.

It's a lot more work intensive than you think. I would just as soon replace it with a manual DA Integra tranny, deal with it, or sell the car.

BTW, yes Honda trannies rev at about 3k at 60 mph. I've been able to knock mine down to 70-75mph at 3k, and 80+ at 4k, but that's with a few "respiratory" mods.

Good luck

On the gen V Prelude Honda changed a couple of things, primarily to make it more mod-friendly. (ie changing the wheels to 5 lug) I'm not sure whether the H22 tranny will bolt right up or not.., especially to a B16/18. First of all, you have the computer problems. The computer is set to change gears at certain revs and conditions, and the software isn't meant to just take manual shifting. A piggyback ECU or some hardcore rewiring may be necessary.

It's a lot more work intensive than you think. I would just as soon replace it with a manual DA Integra tranny, deal with it, or sell the car.

BTW, yes Honda trannies rev at about 3k at 60 mph. I've been able to knock mine down to 70-75mph at 3k, and 80+ at 4k, but that's with a few "respiratory" mods.

I am not looking to swap my transmission. I am going to swap both the engine and transmission. So my question still stands, unless the figures you gave me were out of your 5th gen prelude. I am just looking to get rough figures relative to how high an automatic 5th gen prelude will rev at higher speeds. My Integra revs at 4K at 80 mph, 3K at 60 mph. Is the prelude going to be about the same, or lower?

Also, swapping to a manual will do me no good. The gear ratios in a 5 speed manual are different up to the final drive gear. At cruising speed in either a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto the revs will be about the same

I am not looking to swap my transmission. I am going to swap both the engine and transmission. So my question still stands, unless the figures you gave me were out of your 5th gen prelude. I am just looking to get rough figures relative to how high an automatic 5th gen prelude will rev at higher speeds. My Integra revs at 4K at 80 mph, 3K at 60 mph. Is the prelude going to be about the same, or lower?

Also, swapping to a manual will do me no good. The gear ratios in a 5 speed manual are different up to the final drive gear. At cruising speed in either a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto the revs will be about the same

Ah, ok, kind of missed that part..

The Prelude will be a bit lower, but not by much.

I just recommended the manual swap because I didn't know you were doing the full motor/tranny swap.

I have a 94 Prelude with the H22 + automatic. With a CAI, 17" wheels, and exhaust, I do a little better than 60 at 3k, and a little more than 80 at 4. Of course, with a little more NA power I may be able to knock those numbers down a tad more. I understand your frustration -- having it rev that high kind of sucks.

Are there any other reasons for swapping the motor/tranny? It seems hardly worth it just to rev a little lower in top gear.

It isn't the only reason...my transmission simply needs to be rebuilt. Also it would be nice to gain a bit more power overall. So, generally speaking, I want the benefit of smoother, more efficient power.

As far as NA power is concerned, what kind of mods would it take to get an H22 down closer to 3000-3250 rpm at 80 mph?

Archived