Need help with prelude 91 ALB

octavio714

I had some oil leaks, so I tried to find them and ended up re-tighting oil pan bolts, for which I had to remove some parts to have access to all of them. When I put everything back, and started the car, the "charge system light" came on. I am sure I did not disconnect any wiring under the engine, so this problem might not be a consecuence of this.

I checked for blown fuses and loose connectors, but everything seems OK. With the engine on, I disconnected the battery, and the car died, so the alternator was not charging. I took it out to AutoZone. They tested it 3 times, but it always passed. I put it back in the car, started the engine and surprise!! the Charge system light finally went off. I supposed the alternator belt might have been loosen. I work 26 milles from my house, and when returning home, the light came on again.

I was told the battery with engine off should read around 12volts, but with engine on, should be 14-15 volts (alternator charging). With engine off --> 12 vols (battery is charged), and with engine on --> slighly below 12v (alternator not charging). To loook for loose connectors, I connected the voltimeter to the battery (12v), and while the engine was on (11.8v), slightly pulled all wiring from and to the alternator, expecting if there were some false contact, it would make contact and I could read above 14 volts for a short period of time, but it did not.

I found something weird : if I disconnect the alternator, and start the engine, the light goes off, but if I connect it, the light comes on, so now I am confused.

Any suggestion about where the problem might be would be appreciated.

91 si ALB AT

Archived