89 Prelude 2.0SI Leaking oil pan and plug just spins

247christ

I while back i had my oil changed and after it was changed i noticed drips of oil about every 10 seconds coming from the oil plug, i left it alone and refilled oil as neccessary until i needed another change and now the bolt just spins and wont loosen or tighten and now it is dripping even more requesntly when my father inlaw tried to shock it off with a neumatic ratchet i was going to get an oil pan off a lude in a pick n pull and just swap em out but i cant get the dang bolts off the exhaust where it meets the headers, i just don't have the strength or power tools (neumatic ratchet) and i think i might be going too far out of my way and might just be able to weld something or re tap it..any suggestions.. PLEASE HELP!!!

JUstin

ps.. my wife's 93 desl sole is doing the same thing!!!

• 1 month later...

First thing is first. Do NOT use pneumatic tools for oil changes! Only an idiot would try that... Second thing to try is removing the oil pans and getting new ones and not using pneumatic tools on them. Other than that you could just weld the bolts to the oil pan drill a new hole and weld a nut onto it so you have a good threaded section to receive a new oil plug. tighten buy hand and re-install on vehicle. Or leave it on the car and suck metal shavings through the oil pump and see how long it works..

i got a better idea , lol , leave that oil pan on and get yourself a heli coil. pow fixed. and for the record hes right dont use air tools on nuts that strip easily , your oil pan nut being one of them.

don't be using welding tools where oils is present either. if its too hsrd to take of by hand. get a flat head srewdriver an a big mallet make sure you undo the bolts. then hit it hard till you hear a suchion noise then it'll be easy to pry open with the screw driver. then swop it.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem on my 88 si. It doesn't take much to strip the threads. If you don't want to go to the trouble of tapping it, get a "butterfly plug". It has arms that grab the inside of the pan and secure the plug stopping leaks.

Archived