2006 Accord iPod Options...

tbone13

how much is the music link for the honda? if its more than 130 i wouldnt buy it if i were you.

Here is what i got for my accord:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/sounsnhond3.html

and

http://microcenter.com/single_product_resu...duct_id=0204853

it sounds better than anything ive seen around. you can also control everything from your ipod. if you want pictures on what it looks like...i can post some pictures of how to install it

ipod.JPG

ipod1.JPG

ipod3.JPG

ipod2.JPG

here are some pics of the products that i listed above installed in my car

Ive install this in my car which is a 4 cyl. and a v6 accord...works the same.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone here tried to get an iPod to interface with a 2006 Accord factory stereo WITHOUT NAV or XM or a disk changer? I have the AM/FM/Single-CD OEM head unit, and I want to add an iPod interface. The folks over at Crutchfield and the literature available over at discountcarstereo.com seem to say that the PA11-HON2 only works if you have the NAV radio. mp3yourcar.com says that their Neo ion will work, but it's $80 more than the USA SPEC device, which is strange since someone in an earlier post said that they bought the ion and found that it was simply a re-badged HON2. Comments and ideas are much appreciated.

Has anyone here tried to get an iPod to interface with a 2006 Accord factory stereo WITHOUT NAV or XM or a disk changer? I have the AM/FM/Single-CD OEM head unit, and I want to add an iPod interface. The folks over at Crutchfield and the literature available over at discountcarstereo.com seem to say that the PA11-HON2 only works if you have the NAV radio. mp3yourcar.com says that their Neo ion will work, but it's $80 more than the USA SPEC device, which is strange since someone in an earlier post said that they bought the ion and found that it was simply a re-badged HON2. Comments and ideas are much appreciated.

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

I just ordered the PA11-HON2 from discountcarstereo.com. I have a 2006 accord SE without navi or XM...i'm thinking that you dont need anything else, just plug and route the cables...I'll keep you all posted when i get the device installed.

Jeff

I just purchased a 2006 Accord EX-L, without Navi, but it does have in dash CD changer and XM Radio. I went to Crutchfield to buy the PA11-HON2, but was told it would not work in my car. I have read the thread and it seems the difference between systems where the PA11-HON2 works and mine is the Navi. Can this be confirmed?

OK, everything installed and I am SO HAPPY with the PA11-HON2. Now I do have the 6 disk in dash changer with no navi or XM. The only thing I had to to do was remove the center console and the little cubby above the "not an ashtray" and there was a port on the bottom of the radio that I just plugged into with one of the connectors....ran the wires along the center console and put the brains in the armrest. The only modification that i had to make was a small hole in the armrest storage to allow the wire in. The plug was kinda big so i had to completely dissasemble the center armrest storage and just dremeled out a small hole so put the wire in. I'll take a pic of the finished armrest for better view. Hooked everything up and crystal clear music poured from the speakers! When u turn off the car it pauses the IPOD and shuts off after a bit...when u turn the car back on it starts playing right where u left off. I leave the IPOD in the center console and use direct mode for shuffled music. Now with Navi or XM that port on the bottom that I plugged into is probably going to be used so you will need an adapter to hook both up...I noticed the option cable when purchasing mine but did not need it. Overall the install took about 2 hours and I did not have to disconnect the battery. I used a PDF from Honda Music Link to dissasemble the dash which i can email anyone who wants it. Just let me know. Since my pics are hosted on MySpace and i cant figure out how to insert them here...check them out there if you can. Its just the center console mod.

http://www.myspace.com/theheiminator

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=879

this is the kit i purchased and installed

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=787

this is the adapter for xm and/or navi

Is there a difference between the one CD radio and the 6 CD changer? It looks like everyone who has installed the product has the 6 CD changer. I have a lowly one CD radio. Will this product still work for me? I'm definitely no expert, so someone else will have to install it. I just don't want to buy the equipment, have someone go rooting around behind the dash og my car only to find out it won't work. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Is there a difference between the one CD radio and the 6 CD changer? It looks like everyone who has installed the product has the 6 CD changer. I have a lowly one CD radio. Will this product still work for me? I'm definitely no expert, so someone else will have to install it. I just don't want to buy the equipment, have someone go rooting around behind the dash og my car only to find out it won't work. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I'm not for sure but i know that i could see the port that i had to plug into without removing a single piece of the dash. If you open the cubby under the radio and hold the door horizontal you can see the port on the bottom of the radio unit. Get a flashlight and it should be almost at the back of the unit. If its there then that the only port you need. If it has a plug already in it then you will most likely need the splitter cable. Hope that helps!

Jeff

Glad to see the board is back up.

I was able to install my USA Spec unit last friday. The info from Seattle and theheiminator was excellent. The links were great. The only problem I had was where my aux plugs were located. On some of the links the pics show it as soon as you remove the storage bin. I am not sure if its because i have the NAVI and XM but i had to remove the Middle A/C vents, unscrew the screws that held the radio console and then slide the whole thing out. The Aux ports were located directly behind the radio. I unplugged it, plugged in the splitter and connected the unit. I then had a very nice road trip to disney that night listening to my ipod without any interference. Everything still works. Navi, XM, CD changer, etc.

Hoping you guys could provide me with a little clarity. My father just picked up an '06 Accord EX V6 6-speed, without Navi. It does however have the 6-disc in dash, XM and I believe a more powerful stereo than the automatic EX V6 (could be wrong). I'd like to get him an iPod adapter for the car and about to pull the trigger on the Honda Music Link, that is until I saw some of the bad press it was getting. I really liked the idea of plugging in the iPod and placing it the glovebox and controling the rest of the wheel or stereo controls as the Music link is advertised, however that seems to not be the case? The USASpec PA11-HON2 looks like the approved option here, however crutchfield has it not working with configuration my father has. In addition I don't particularly care for having to the mount the control unit in an accessible location, not to mention understand why it needs to be mounted in an accessible location. I have a dension Icelink in one of my cars and it seems problematic and limited, so its out of the running.

So what is my best choice, this are the requirements:

- ease of use

- factory like intergration

- ability to control and access all music on the iPod

- allow for a clean, reversible installation

Would the Honda Music Link be the best bet for hin since there would be no Navi/voice intergration issues? Or would the USASpec PA11-HON2 despite its need for the controller to be accessible?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I'd really like to get an iPod adapter for him, however I don't want the gift to turn into a headache for him.

Check out this video of the honda music link, it sucks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3pcDM_JV0

also, in that video the guy uses a pc card to play mp3s. does anyone know if the pc card slot in the accords will function the same way????

25 G's for a civic? For that price you might as well get an 06 accord ex v6-l w/nav and XM. I did.

Does the accord have a PC slot?

Ok, so I suppose I want the best of all worlds but I am wondering if anyone knows the pinouts to both the USA Spec 8 pin adapter and the Ice Link 8 pin adapter. I like the cradle that comes with the icelink but the actual features of the USA Spec. I would like to do a mount something like this:

http://www.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325624

Other than the mount I love my USA Spec and want to thank everyone in this forum for their help! :D Installation was a breeze with all users comments and docs/pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great thread - I'm leaning toward the USA Spec PA11 for my 06 Accord EX-L with XM w/o Nav...and was wondering....I have no plans to buy the XM Radio subscription. Can I:

- just remove the XM radio bus cable into my head unit and replace it with the USA SPec bus cable?

- When I cycle through the mode switch on my steering wheel, will the 2 XM bands go away and the CD2 (or whatever the USA Spec input is called) appear?

Great thread - I'm leaning toward the USA Spec PA11 for my 06 Accord EX-L with XM w/o Nav...and was wondering....I have no plans to buy the XM Radio subscription. Can I:

- just remove the XM radio bus cable into my head unit and replace it with the USA SPec bus cable?

- When I cycle through the mode switch on my steering wheel, will the 2 XM bands go away and the CD2 (or whatever the USA Spec input is called) appear?

I'm wondering this too. Personally, I think XM is crap and I am not going to renew the subscription, so why spend money on a splitter when I can just get rid of the XM and plug this USA Spec right in.

I do no want to undertake the installation of this product myself, the PDF I saw tells you to unplug the seat heaters and all this junk, I just don't have the time to do such a project even though everyone seems to think it's so easy. I went to a car shop but they refused to do it. The dealer said he'd charge me 180 bucks to install it, what a ridiculous price. I know Best buy and Circuit city's have installation services, but do they install things that were not bought from the store? I wish I could just have this installed already.

In case anyone is still reading this forum, I went to a local car shop, the guy did it on the side for me charged me 60 bucks, he did a very good job, the device works perfectly, and it worked without the splitter obviously I just don't have XM anymore, which is fine by me, just buy the splitter if you still want XM. Yes Steve, the XM is replaced by CD changer or something, just go to disc six and theres your ipod.

In case anyone is still reading this forum, I went to a local car shop, the guy did it on the side for me charged me 60 bucks, he did a very good job, the device works perfectly, and it worked without the splitter obviously I just don't have XM anymore, which is fine by me, just buy the splitter if you still want XM. Yes Steve, the XM is replaced by CD changer or something, just go to disc six and theres your ipod.

Heh - I just did this today and was going to report the results. :D

I'm very happy with this solution. My iPod is sitting in the top tray of the center console for easy access if I want to mess with playlists....or I just use the steering wheel control for next song.

Funny thing - when I was waiting for the installer to start on my car, I convinced another family to go with the PA11 for their Civic. The installer joked about giving me commission.

• 2 weeks later...
Heh - I just did this today and was going to report the results. :D

I'm very happy with this solution. My iPod is sitting in the top tray of the center console for easy access if I want to mess with playlists....or I just use the steering wheel control for next song.

Funny thing - when I was waiting for the installer to start on my car, I convinced another family to go with the PA11 for their Civic. The installer joked about giving me commission.

I know this is an Accord forum, but I have a 2006 Civic EX w/navi and just installed the neo and it works perfectly. I had the guys at Tweeters use the extra aux port for a Sirius Starmate Replay install.

I only have a single disc changer, so I have to choose the CD button to switch between the iPod and the plug-n-play Sirius radio.

I couldn't be happier (unless I could access Sirius and my iPod through my navigation display).

• 3 weeks later...
Glad to see the board is back up.

I was able to install my USA Spec unit last friday. The info from Seattle and theheiminator was excellent. The links were great. The only problem I had was where my aux plugs were located. On some of the links the pics show it as soon as you remove the storage bin. I am not sure if its because i have the NAVI and XM but i had to remove the Middle A/C vents, unscrew the screws that held the radio console and then slide the whole thing out. The Aux ports were located directly behind the radio. I unplugged it, plugged in the splitter and connected the unit. I then had a very nice road trip to disney that night listening to my ipod without any interference. Everything still works. Navi, XM, CD changer, etc.

Please post a link to the actual product(s) you purchased that enabled you to use your iPod with your Honda with Nav. Thanks - Kelly

• 1 year later...
I have a 2006. I didn't do anything special other than purchasing the Honda harness splitter i linked above. I think they may have made a change in the 2006 models because they knew the Honda Music Link was coming out.

I am planning to get this cool thing this weekend. Is there any documentation on how to open the storage bin and "not an ashtray". Also, what instruments did you need (like screw driver etc) to do all the work ?

Thanks !!

I am planning to get this cool thing this weekend. Is there any documentation on how to open the storage bin and "not an ashtray". Also, what instruments did you need (like screw driver etc) to do all the work ?

Thanks !!

here's a link to the documentation I use; easier than you think! no special tools other than screwdrivers and maybe pliers

http://www.beaufordbuddy.com/ipod_install_1.htm

Archived