H22A JDM vs. Type S - the difference?

theSEX

I have a JDM H22A and was looking into converting it into a Type-S. I was just curious as to what the differences are between the two engines. I already know the Type-S has higher compression pistons and different cams... but is there anything else that is different between the two??

I have little info on them but i did look into that same engine. It was told to me that the intake manifold is basically the same as that of the skunk 2, and the s type motor comes with 220 horsepower stock, but in comparison to the price for the s type motor and the price of the jdm h22 motor and a skunk intake manifold just buying a jdm h22a will be much cheaper than buying the whole type s engine. Your only gaining 20 horsepower and the pistons are different and the top of that motor is blue if i'm not mistaken. But i'm sure that somebody will come along with more info but thats my two cents take it for what its worth.

• 4 weeks later...

well i had a very good site that explains the difference between alot of the engines, but if you was going to dp an engine swap on a prelude i'd get the accord 'type' R the h22a7, however there are many complications not to difficult if you know what your doing. but if you was going to buy one i'd get japans type s although its limited to 125mph i see no reason why you can't change that acordingly to whats ligal in your area.

main reason for the type s be different to any of the other prelude is that not only is the intake manifold different but so is the exhaust manifold, a normal prelude h22a4 has oval shaped exhaust fittings and that the intake has a different agle i think its raised a few milimeters plus theres a more efficient airbox which if you had that car it would be a mistake to change the airfilter. but the type s's body is better kitted out for overal handeling... hmm oh an the throttle body has been bored out, and something was done to the cat converter i think its bigger in the type S. can't think of anything more hope its helps

the 125limiter sucks ok for roads not for track

• 4 months later...

the difference...is the jdm type s camshafts lobes are a bit bigger than the stock jdm h22 non type s

the types has 11.0 compressed pistons plus floating wrist pins compared to the 10.6 jdm h22 non type s non floating writs pins

the type s IM is longer runners i believe, but better non the less than the regualar h22 IM from...

i think the type s has no butterflies in the IM too.

the type s has a red top vavle cover cmpared to the black ones.

other than that they have the same everything else on the motor...i think the exhaust manifolds jdm are the same.

Archived