My prelude has lost it's spark!

prelude2-n-end

Hello all. I own a 1998 Honda Prelude type SH 5 speed. The other day I was driving and while cruising at about 50 miles an hour the car suddenly just died. When I pulled over I tried to restart it and it would crank over fine, it just wouldn't fire up. I did some routine checks and found i wasn't getting any spark from one of the plug wires. I then checked the wire coming from the ignition coil and wasn't getting spark there either. So anyways I ended up replacing the ignition coil, igniter module, and now an entire distributor assembly to no avail. I'm pretty much at my wits end here as i spent $69.99 for the ignition coil, $177.98 for the igniter module, and now $279.99 for an entire distributor assembly. Please can anyone shed some more light on this problem for me. I talked to a few mechanic buddies of mine and they are starting to say either ECU $350.00, or Main Relay $58.99. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

P.s. We narrowed it down to it definatley being a no spark problem. Its getting fuel and the compression is ok. We held the plug wire coming off the ignition coil about 1/4 in. away from the metal frame and turn the key to ignition and we get one single spark. When we go to crank it no more spark comes out. Only that first one from off to ignition. Its not throwing any codes either.

Ok I have finally found the answer to this problems. Some of you prelude owners may want to listen up here, it may just save you some troubles. After bringing my car to a few mechanics, they finally determined that it was the crankshaft positioning sensor. The guy at the local Honda dealership told me that the small harness that holds the wire in place was defective from manufacture. The holder works itself loose after awhile and then allows the wires to rub against the drive axle causing the wires to strip and then short each other. This should be a recall from Honda but its not. I was able to get all of my money back including a reinburcement from Honda for my tow. @ Sexy H22- Did you even read the post I already said all those things you mentioned were replaced and brand new. The mechanics reply for determining a faulty spark; 1.Check your wires, 2. Check your fuse; 3. Check your ignition coil; 4. Check your igniter module; 5. Check your Main Relay; 6. check your Crankshaft positioning sensor.

Archived