h23 vtec possible?

kacivic

i was just curious if it would be possible to take the head from an h22 (vtec) and do the frankenstein conversion on my h23. i've never heard of it being done, but just curious to know if it's possible...

the main reason i'm wondering is because i'm looking at buying a 95 'lude that has bent valves. apparently (this is the story the guy told me...) the guy took the car to get the timing belt changed, they put one on that was too big, started it up and it bent the valves. i imagine the pistons may need to be changed as well, but figured it might be easier to change the head than to rebuilding it, and as long as i'm replacing, to replace it w/ a vtec head...

I have never completely understood that concept...if anyone cares to explain it I would definitely appreciate a lesson. I've never actually seen it myself, but these mini me conversions are happening everywhere. Do they always work to gain and how much power does the average build make. Is it potentially harmful to the engine? Would you need to invest in any new parts to secure your motor of any problems?

H22 pistons would have their advantages, but keep the manual tensioner from the H23, it had a lot less problems.. i kno people who have swapped out the auto tensioner for the h23 manual one.. other than that, it is somewhat difficult.. and no where near as reliable as an H22. you have to drill into the block to create an oil passage... and that can cause serious problems if done wrong. so unless you are going to turbo it, its not worth it. just H22 swap it.

Archived