1985 Honda fails to start - no spark

My 85 Accord has developed an attitude problem and will not start. I have plenty of gas, no spark. It has no timing belt problem, the coil is brand new, the ignitor tests ok according to the Haynes manual, the coil gets 12V at the terminals, and all the plug wires are good.

The car was running fine when it quit on me twice two days in a row. Both days it would not start until later in the day. The next time it happened, it quit and immedietly restarted. (I was on my way to work...two miles) I parked the car for the day, and it would not restart 8 hours later. I went back that evening and it started fine. I drove it home no problems and the next day it would not start and has not started since.

I have tested the power to the coil, to the ignitor and have tested resistance all the way round. There seems to be no real problem. There is a note in the Haynes manual that says to check the condenser because if it fails, the car might not run. I have no way of testing this unit. It is a Capacitor that filters ignition noise for the radio...oooooo....ahhhh...big whoop. Problem is, if I disconnect it, the car still doesn't start. Schematic shows that all it does is filter ignition power to ground.

Any ideas?

thanks

is the coil loose? what do you mean its brand new as in you just replaced it? have you tested the plug wires? have you tried replacing/testing the spark plugs? possible the coil is bad. did you test the coil when it wouldnt start or when it would start? maybe your distributer (hows that spelled?) is bad. or maybe its just loose.

The coil is brand new as in fresh out of the box. The plug wires are all fine. Unknown is the condition of the distributer. Any clue about the ignitor or the condensor? That is where I think the problems lie. The coil tests fine.

ok, i just had a similar problem in my crx. no promises but the problem was not what i thought (fuel pump) it ended up being the main relay. so check and see if yur getting fuel up at the front. if not it could be either a bad fuel pump or a bad main relay it should be in the haynes book. you could also check your distributor cap for carbon build up.

hope you can figure it out

GOOD LUCK!!

The fuel pump is doing fine...I can smell plenty of fuel in the carb. I know I am not getting a spark to the plugs because I have put a timing light on it and cranked it over....no flashy.

I am not willing to spend the money on the ignitor because it tested ok, and buying one means lots of $$ for something that might not be an issue. I am bothered by the condenser thing. It makes not one bit of sense that this raiod interference gadget would prevent the car from running.

Does anyone have an idea as to what resistance should be in plug wires? I am getting about 100KOhms.

thanks for trying folks!

are you 100% shure the timing light works? did you test it? did you say 100,000 ohms of resistance? i think i got about 30 ohms. i have no clue as to what it could be, im just throwing out questions to see if you missed anything. and since you said that the coil is putting out power my best guess would be the distributer

Spark plugs should get anywhere from 10,000 to 40,000 ohms of resistance and anything over 75,000 mean that there is a huge gap somewhere in the plugs causing a poor spark... another way to test for spark... take a screw drive and stick it in the end of the plug and let it set just over a ground... crank and watch for the spark to jump to ground... But my main guess is that it's your distributor...

• 1 month later...

Well, it took me a while because I had to ensure that I wasn't going to spend the $$ on a new distributer and have the hummer not start. With all the topics here, and my own troubleshooting, I bought the unit. Honda wanted over 600 bucks. Napa wanted 189. 20 year old car...155000 miles...Napa distributer. It started and runs like a champ. Amazing. Thanks for the replys and the help. I appreciate it. Now on to getting the Cruise Control working...fun....

Archived