Fi

i have been looking at purchasing/installing high compression pistons into a 2.2L '90 accord ex. was thinking about adding a turbo later on, and though it would make tuning more difficult (so i've heard), would it still be beneficial to do both? the pistons are much cheaper, thus the way i'm looking at moving..... any opinions/first hand knowledge appreciated. thanks

forced induction adds to the compression. that's why most people lower the compression before turbocharging. with high compression and a turbo, the chance of detonation is very likely. if you want a powerful all-motor car, then go for the high compression pistons. as long as you run 91-93 octane, it will be a reliable daily driver. high compression with forced induction is possible with proper tuning, but it's not a good idea for a street car.

awesome, good to know... definitely not looking for a track car right now, so i'll definitely have to go w/ the pistons, like we talked about before. besides being cheaper, i need something reliable as well.

~on a similar note, would i be able to do the high comp. pistons and nos, or would that too raise the compression too high to be a reliable street car? thanks.

as long as it doesnt create detonation, you can run a small shot. but make sure you upgrade your fuel pump and fuel injectors. i know a few people running small shots of N20 on engines with 10.5:1 compression. but dont overdo it, a big shot will cause detonation. they get the best results with 45-50 shots. actually my friend noticed that all his track times with a 45 shot were quicker then when he ran a 65 shot.

good deal, maybe i'll have to run both eventually.... hey, was talking to one of my guys today and he was trying to run me more towards just rebuilding the engine instead of replacing the pistons just yet... wanted to get your opinions, seeing as pistons are much more affordable at the moment. along w/ the pistons, a cai would have to be installed too, right? 8) i love the under the hood sound of cai's

well, that's not something i can tell you. it depends on the condition of your engine. if your engine was beat pretty bad and not properly maintained, then a rebuild is definitely a good idea. does your engine burn a lot of oil?

as for the CAI, you dont "need" one. but why not? since you want performance, you might as well help the engine breathe better.

Archived