Overheating

Accord3126

I have a '92 Accord EX that I love and it's overheating. It has 208,000+ miles on the original engine and still running strong (except the current problem.) Early last year, I installed a new radiator and thermostat. A few days ago it started running really hot. The old "heater on high" trick seems to work but I can't figure out why the fan doesn't kick on when I shut off the ignition. Both come on when I run the A/C so I know they both work. I heard the (AUX fan relay/switch?) click but the fan didn't come on and another time, it only came on for about a second then shut off again.

Is the relay bad? Am I even on the right track? I need help. Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

id say check fan connections as well. also rebleed it couldnt hurt. your water pump might be failing. if your getting heat in the car than thermostat is opening. if you get no heat and your car overheats than thermo is most likely stuck shut. not your case though.

Check the fluids in your radiator? I mean actually open the bottle and look inside there tends to be a stain where fluid normally sits that makes it look like its full from the outside when it's really empty. !!!

Take your car out and drive it at highway speeds. If it doesn't overheat than your problem is most likely a cooling fan problem. If it still gets hot you may want to check for a blown head gasket. When you hear the fan relay click on, check for power and ground at the fan motor connection.

• 3 months later...
Take your car out and drive it at highway speeds. If it doesn't overheat than your problem is most likely a cooling fan problem. If it still gets hot you may want to check for a blown head gasket. When you hear the fan relay click on, check for power and ground at the fan motor connection.

I have the same exact issue. All relays click but no power at the fan. All fuses look good. Anyone have anything else to check. Fans runs when wire direct to battery also.

I know there is a fan timier control box.. but have no idea where it is. The manual I have does not show it.

well i had a simular problem... i replaced coolant hoses in my car, and it started overheating, becuz my friend for got to fully tight a hose clamp. if you have a brake in the system it will over heat... after you check the hoses..

i agree take it out on the highway at highway speeds. when your car moves that fast, the wind will cool it, and if your car doesnt over heat then look into your fan... and connections.

good luck

I have the same exact issue. All relays click but no power at the fan. All fuses look good. Anyone have anything else to check. Fans runs when wire direct to battery also.

I know there is a fan timier control box.. but have no idea where it is. The manual I have does not show it.

What kind of car??? year and model and I'll try to give you some help.

Archived