How to replace a Del Sol antenna non power

JanBarnett

I hired someone to replace the snapped antenna on my del sol. He took out the panel in the trunk but could not reach the cable to unplug the old and put in the new. I put my hand in fairly far but couldn't feel the connector and when I tugged on it and it feels like it is caught on something.

He said I'd have to take out the panel in the back seat area also. When I contacted the place where I bought the antenna they said I'd have to take out the center console (which I know is not correct) and then the speaker hole in the back.

What is the fastest and easiest way to do this? I've read where it should only take 20 minutes to do this, I don't get what the problem is here.

I'd appreciate some help so I don't have to pay a ton of money to replace a $20 antenna.

Thanks

This is an easy thing to do yourself and is something you shouldn't be paying others to do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't access the antenna from the cabin of the car.

My advise to you is to remove all of the carpeting in the trunk so you have a clear shot at the antenna.

If you conclude that it is caught on something and want to try accessing it from the cabin, it is not hard to remove the panels.

In order to do that first remove the long center piece in between the two speakers. This is only held in by tabs so start at one end and work your way to the other.

Now you can start to remove the curved section with the speaker grill. I believe there are two screws which are visible once the center panel is removed.

I think there is another screw that is not accessible until you remove the lower bins, but I'm not positive. Either way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the lower bins as there are only a few screws holding it in. There are two screws which hold in the center console and the bins in place and those will need to be removed.

You can also read through this to find some tips for taking the interior out. http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2900448

there are 2 different styles, one the antenna cable is attached to the antenna and the other it is not... if you have the attached cable you will have to pull a bunch of the interior. if not, pull the passenger side carpet from the trunk. remove the little nut on top of the antenna, unbolt unit in trunk. wiggle unit out of tight area. pull antenna cable. install in reverse.

This is an easy thing to do yourself and is something you shouldn't be paying others to do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't access the antenna from the cabin of the car.

My advise to you is to remove all of the carpeting in the trunk so you have a clear shot at the antenna.

If you conclude that it is caught on something and want to try accessing it from the cabin, it is not hard to remove the panels.

In order to do that first remove the long center piece in between the two speakers. This is only held in by tabs so start at one end and work your way to the other.

Now you can start to remove the curved section with the speaker grill. I believe there are two screws which are visible once the center panel is removed.

I think there is another screw that is not accessible until you remove the lower bins, but I'm not positive. Either way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the lower bins as there are only a few screws holding it in. There are two screws which hold in the center console and the bins in place and those will need to be removed.

You can also read through this to find some tips for taking the interior out. http://honda-tech.co...d.php?t=2900448

Hi Lloyd, I am disabled so just cannot do it myself which is why I had to get someone to do it. I was able to get my hand down into the hole in the trunk but the cable seemed to be stuck. I couldn't find the end. I did not crawl in the trunk to try but I may have to do that if I can.

So you are saying you have to take the center console out to get the back out? Is there a way to just remove the speaker panel and go in from there?

I also need clarification on the 2nd response saying there are 2 kinds of antennas.

Also how long should this take? I don't understand why some people said it took only 20 minutes.

Thanks so much. Jan

there are 2 different styles, one the antenna cable is attached to the antenna and the other it is not... if you have the attached cable you will have to pull a bunch of the interior. if not, pull the passenger side carpet from the trunk. remove the little nut on top of the antenna, unbolt unit in trunk. wiggle unit out of tight area. pull antenna cable. install in reverse.

OH, you are saying if you pull the stub of the antenna out it will pull the cable with it and then you don't have to go into the back seat? is that what you are saying? I need to try to pull it out myself then. I don't have needle nose pliers and there is nothing there to grab on to.

Hmm. Thanks I'll check it out now.

Archived