Photo
- - - - -

How much does it cost to replace the master cylinder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lt_Dan87

Lt_Dan87

• 2 posts
  • Vehicles:Honda Accord

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

My parking brake light wont turn off, and the dude at the shop said my brakes were perfectly fine and safe, but the problem was that I had to remove and replace my master cylinder. He said the overall price would be around $600, so I declined. He said I would have to get it done eventually because it isnt going to pass inspection. Does $600 sound normal? Also do you think that really is the problem if the stupid parking brake light in the dash wont turn off?

#2 James Matteu

James Matteu

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts
  • Vehicles:1997 Honda Accord EX-V6

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:47 PM

There is a chance that you are actually leaking brake fluid. This can come from the Brake Fluid Reservior or a failing Master Cylinder, a quick visual inspection around the Master Cylinder can eliminate this possibility.

You have a low level switch inside the lid that covers the Brake Fluid Reservior. This switch completes the circuit that illuminates the BRAKE indicator on your Gauge Cluster. A faulty Brake Fluid Reservior Low Level Switch can cause the light to stay on constantly. Your Parking Brake also has a switch at the base that closes the same circuit. A faulty Parking Brake Switch can also cause the light to stay on constantly. A short in the wiring between either of these switches and the Gauge Cluster can also cause the light to stay on constantly.

I would not pay anyone to do any of the above, if you can bleed brakes, you can change a master cylinder. A multimeter should be able to find any electrical fault you may have.

Edited by James Matteu, 06 May 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#3 SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

HF's Residential Demon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Vehicles:1992 Honda Civic Si Hatch

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

$600? thats a rip off. it costs 40-50 for the master cylinder itself.

#4 Stevotron5000

Stevotron5000

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Vehicles:94 Del Sol

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

^^ Yup, complete rip-off. I got mine brand new from Honda for no more than $60 and did it myself. Find a buddy or something to help you out, it's not nearly as hard as you may think.

#5 Lt_Dan87

Lt_Dan87

• 2 posts
  • Vehicles:Honda Accord

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

There is a chance that you are actually leaking brake fluid. This can come from the Brake Fluid Reservior or a failing Master Cylinder, a quick visual inspection around the Master Cylinder can eliminate this possibility.

You have a low level switch inside the lid that covers the Brake Fluid Reservior. This switch completes the circuit that illuminates the BRAKE indicator on your Gauge Cluster. A faulty Brake Fluid Reservior Low Level Switch can cause the light to stay on constantly. Your Parking Brake also has a switch at the base that closes the same circuit. A faulty Parking Brake Switch can also cause the light to stay on constantly. A short in the wiring between either of these switches and the Gauge Cluster can also cause the light to stay on constantly.

I would not pay anyone to do any of the above, if you can bleed brakes, you can change a master cylinder. A multimeter should be able to find any electrical fault you may have.

So does any of that stuff you mentioned have anything to do with a master cylinder? And where can you buy master cylinders? Autozone?

#6 SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon

HF's Residential Demon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,641 posts
  • Vehicles:1992 Honda Civic Si Hatch

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

So does any of that stuff you mentioned have anything to do with a master cylinder? And where can you buy master cylinders? Autozone?

Advanced Auto, Autozone, O' Reillys, NAPA...you name it. they should all run around 45-60 for everything