Can I use LS pisons in a LS/VTEC???

brax_1

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a question. Can I use the stock LS pistons in a LS/VTEC build up??

I hope so!! Because the engine is already in the car and I am in the midst of hooking up the electrical.

The car is a 1988 CRX HF, the bottom end of the engine is basically a stock rebuilt LS motor, while the head is a B16A1, stock B16 cams and valves, the rest is basic bolt ons. What I am worried about are the valves of the B16 hitting the pistons of the LS.

I would really appreciate some help with this, I would hate to start the car and have a valve shoot through my piston.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have a question. Can I use the stock LS pistons in a LS/VTEC build up??

I hope so!! Because the engine is already in the car and I am in the midst of hooking up the electrical.

The car is a 1988 CRX HF, the bottom end of the engine is basically a stock rebuilt LS motor, while the head is a B16A1, stock B16 cams and valves, the rest is basic bolt ons. What I am worried about are the valves of the B16 hitting the pistons of the LS.

I would really appreciate some help with this, I would hate to start the car and have a valve shoot through my piston.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

wtf else are you going to use?

you could use a higher compression piston...

you should be less concerned about the pistons you used and more concerned about the crap LS rod bolts you just used and the block you're going to destroy. your LS-VTEC is going to be slow for a couple reasons

1. you don't have high enough compression to work with the needed high revs of the B16 head.

2. you probably don't have any engine management at all. even if you did, it won't make the stock LS rod bolts stronger.

3. probably used a stock LS oil pump. that won't pump enough oil and you'll eventually spin a rod bearing.

4. if you rev to 8200rpm like a stock B16 head needs, the stock LS rod bolts will strip and you'll have a lot of problems.

when this all happens, don't come on the site complaining and spreading lies about LS-VTEC not being reliable and crap. if it blows up, it simply wasn't built right. I can prove to you that LS-VTEC and CR-VTEC can be very reliable if built right.

you could use a higher compression piston...

you should be less concerned about the pistons you used and more concerned about the crap LS rod bolts you just used and the block you're going to destroy. your LS-VTEC is going to be slow for a couple reasons

1. you don't have high enough compression to work with the needed high revs of the B16 head.

2. you probably don't have any engine management at all. even if you did, it won't make the stock LS rod bolts stronger.

3. probably used a stock LS oil pump. that won't pump enough oil and you'll eventually spin a rod bearing.

4. if you rev to 8200rpm like a stock B16 head needs, the stock LS rod bolts will strip and you'll have a lot of problems.

when this all happens, don't come on the site complaining and spreading lies about LS-VTEC not being reliable and crap. if it blows up, it simply wasn't built right. I can prove to you that LS-VTEC and CR-VTEC can be very reliable if built right.

Thanks for the info :D This is just my daily driver. I had the parts laying around and thought it would be an interesting project. I actually have ARP 2000 rod bolts installed, sorry I didn't mention that. I'm not a racer I just want a zippy car. I have a B16A1 block that I'm putting my effort into, this was just a fun little side project. That's why I was only interested in if the valves and the pistons would intefere. I probably won't rev over 7,500 rpm anyway. I really appreciate that you took the time to help me. If it breaks I won't complain. I just built it as cheap as possible. Thanks.

The reason I ask this is because when looking around at different sites concerning an LS/VTEC (after I built and installed the engine), I noticed alot of the sites recommended different pistons because the valve reliefs on the stock LS pistons were not large enough. That is why I asked the question. But after seeing the reply from BigBirdSucks, it seems this should not be my worry at all unless I run larger cams.

• 3 weeks later...

heres a question for you...why wouldnt you put the pr3 pistons (b16a1 if you didnt know) into the ls block? 81mm std bores...and if your asking why ( not trying to degrade you if you knwo this ), it has a WAY bigger dome, which means more compression, way more, and that will be a faster "zipping around car", and you will get way better results from a ls vtec frankenstien than the b16 if your not into hardcore tuning...and let me tell you from first hand, I have a 12 second N/A b16a std bore std stroke 93 civic 4dr sedan and it has taken ALOT of money and tuning because of such high compression needed to get the power. And to answer probably man of you asking why a 4dr, its because i wanted to show the people that a family car can be just as and most of the time faster than a hb.

I also am rebuilding my old ls vtec from my crx to put into the 4dr and am swapping all my 16a parts over to the 18b...so basically what i am trying to tell you is to pull that engine back out, put the 16a oil pump and water pump on it, USE the 16a timing belt ( you cant use the 18a/b/c belt because of the 16a waterpump teeth have a different count ) drop in just the pr3 pistons ( just pull the rods out and take a tourch to the wrist pins to take them out and put back in ) and go buy a brand NEW!! OEM B18!! 3 layer head gasket and peel off 1 layer of gasket...also if you want this to last if you want to build this, check all the bearings, you can swap over the bearings between the 2 and get the best full set of bearings and it will save you alot of money...this build will only cost you some of your time, and a couple bucks here and there if you dont need to replace bearings...theres me lecture, hope it helps you with your project.

tye

That's a good idea. I might just do that. I have been driving it since the last post and I'm enjoying it alot, I' m sure putting in the b16a pistons would definetly be for a more entertaining ride. I'm not really a racer or anything I just want a car with a bit of zip init. The oil pump and water pump I bought are from a Type R so I have that area covered. I will be installing them over springbreak when I don't need my car.

Thanks for your thoughts Infumis, I might just pull apart the whole engine next break and put in those pistons.

Archived