98 Accord V-6 with automatic transmission shifting issues

KennyMike

I thought I would just reach out to the group here to try and get a heads up on what kind of conversation I might expect when I take my car into the shop. There is shifting delay when the car is trying to get from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd. The RPMs rev up, I end up having to back off on the gas and the transmission then finds the gear. It also seems to be having trouble finding its way back into 1st when I pull up to a stop sign. I've checked the fluid and it looks fine. I guess I'm just hoping that this could be something other than my transmission as I'm pretty sure that would be a little more than I'm ready to spend but I sure would like to get another 100,000 out of this sweet machine.

James,

Thank you for the reply... 190,000!!! are you serious??? that would be great as I'm at 145,000... is there a site that documents this upgrade???

I noticed that while driving this morning... the shifting was better... even though the fluid level is OK... could the acting up after the car warms up indicate old fluid???

Ken

Sorry, 100k, not 190k.

Trannsmission problems existed with the first automatics to be used with the relatively new J-series. When a sufficient amount of defects exist, Honda issues a recall.

From the horse's mouth:

http://world.honda.com/news/2004/c040630.html

But that doesn't help you any since it does not specifically refer to your year.

I mis-quoted the following sources, it is only 100k, not 190k.

Consumer Reports:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/honda-accord6.htm

"Automatic transmission (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002): On V6 models, transmissions may fail due to lack of thread-locking compound on nut for low clutch. Honda extended the warranty on affected vehicles to seven years or 100,000 miles. "

Another source:

"First off, Honda's unfortunate tranny problems escalated with the V6 engine-equipped model of the '98-'02 generation. Honda of America recognized this by replacing problem cars with rebuilt trannies starting with the 2000 model, extending the tranny warranty to 100k miles. It's also known that HOA accommodated rare '99s for people who complained intensely enough."

Another problem that is closer in the years affected was described in a letter from William R. Willen, Managing Counsel for the Product Legal Group of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., dated 06-Feb-98 and addressed to Kenneth N. Weinstein, Associate Administrator for the Office of Safety Assurance, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:

"During manufacturing, a gradual deterioration in a portion of the casting die caused an irregularity on the right-side transmission cover. This irregularity may limit the movement of the parking pawl actuation lever and prevent adequate engagement of the parking gear pawl. This does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 114, which requires that the vehicle shall not roll down an incline when the transmission is locked in park."

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...C-98V018-NN.PDF

Check out NHSTA item numbers 10014230 and 636755.

Since tranny designs do not seem to change significantly from one year to the next, if problem appears later (2000 or 2001), I feel it is safe to assume the problem may have existed in the 1998 and 1999 models. Unless the tranny problem is caused by some Y2K error.

Archived