97 civc Timing belt installation... something isn't right.

Well so, I must start by saying I never wanted to attempt this Timing belt and Water Pump on my 97 civic ex, 1.6l. Before anyone gives me too much flack for taking on a job that I'm not sure I can do... I am a single mother, and a friend (used to be mechanic) from a little over an hour away promised to come help me take off the crank shaft bolt. I am not helpless whatsoever at fixing cars so he somehow convinced me I could handle this (he knows me well) rather than taking it to the shop and having to pay labor costs. Until I get child support back any money I spare is a god send. Well now that I've got that clear:

I got all data and started the process of the breakdown so that he wouldn't have to be here long to help me bust loose the crank pulley and set timing. Once the crank pulley was loose and he said timing was set... I said how do I know I'm on TDC #1 compression? He pointed to all the top marks on camshaft as he lined it up. Makes sense. 2:1 ratio, okay. He said bottom mark was good.

All I had to do today was slip the old timing belt and put new water pump in, then get the new belt back on without moving what he set, okay... right? BUUUUUT when I did all this, low and behold, I wipe up some grease behind crank pulley and see the arrow, it's a good tooth in front of the mark on crank. I release tension, remove timing belt, turn crank just a hair counterclockwise, lines up dead on the money. Reinstall and reset tension.

I just barely started to test the line up when it locked up, couldn't have made it an inch of rotation. Every mark everywhere (all three at top) is lining up!

I left it and took a shower.

I'm really trying to save him the trip all the way back here just to reset timing... I'm sure I can handle reassembling everything else I removed to spec. So I guess my question is this.... Should I go tomorrow morning and remove timing belt again, turn crank 1 time counterclockwise until it's back on the mark and try testing belt again? Or should I jsut sit here and twidle my thumbs like a silly woman waiting on a man to come save her? I got a compressor out of all this so crankshaft bolts like that will never stand in the way of my scrawny self again.

Thanks for any quick advice you can throw my way. I probably should have marked old timing belt and then matched and marked new timing belt before first install... but all data just keeps assuming I know a lot of little details that I just don't know.

Archived