Disconnecting Interior Door Lock/Handle

maocro

I need to get at the side mirrors on my 1995 Si to repaint them and figure the only way to do so is by removing the door panels. I got the screws and fasteners off, but couldn't figure out how to disconnect the cable and rod for the door handle and lock. Any guidance? Also, once I do get to the mirrors, any tricks to getting them off?

Thanks!

1) Unscrew interior door handle, slide rearward and pull out. Unclip latch cable and lock rod from door handle (!!careful the clips can easily break!!)

2) Unscrew panel at interior door handle and unscrew the clip at top-forward area (if they are there, mine aren't)

3) Pull panel off at bottom (about a dozen clips). Just pull firmly with even force all around (don't yank off to far because the power window/mirror switches are still attached) and lift upwards to detach.

4) Unplug power window/mirror switches

5) Remove water seal (plastic sheet glued to the door). Try to do it cleanly so you can reuse the paste/glue/sealant stuff.

6) Look up through forward most hole and you should see 2-3 nuts (can't remember how many) that attach the mirror.

Good luck! Those nuts/bolts aren't easy to reach.

1) Unscrew interior door handle, slide rearward and pull out. Unclip latch cable and lock rod from door handle (!!careful the clips can easily break!!)

2) Unscrew panel at interior door handle and unscrew the clip at top-forward area (if they are there, mine aren't)

3) Pull panel off at bottom (about a dozen clips). Just pull firmly with even force all around (don't yank off to far because the power window/mirror switches are still attached) and lift upwards to detach.

4) Unplug power window/mirror switches

5) Remove water seal (plastic sheet glued to the door). Try to do it cleanly so you can reuse the paste/glue/sealant stuff.

6) Look up through forward most hole and you should see 2-3 nuts (can't remember how many) that attach the mirror.

Good luck! Those nuts/bolts aren't easy to reach.

Thanks Mitch! I ordered some vinyl mirror bras and am going to try them out to avoid the hassle of trying to get the mirrors off. The paint (Milano Red) on my 95 Si is VERY faded on all the non-metal parts (mirrors, bumpers, etc.), but is fine on the metal parts. I'm going to try and do what I can with touch-up paint and cover-ups (front end and mirror bras) for now since a paint job is more than I paid for the car!

I'm right there with you man. Aside from rock chips my Milano is still in good condition on the metal, but the paint on the plastic parts is just horrid. The mirrors are so bleached that they aren't even Milano pink, more like Milano orange. >_<

Archived