Another V-TEC Question

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine. Several of the links below go into the actual mechanics of the VTEC system if you are interested.

Several engine manufacturers are experimenting with systems that would allow infinite variability in valve timing. For example, imagine that each valve had a solenoid on it that could open and close the valve under computer control rather than relying on a camshaft. With this type of system, you would get maximum engine performance at every rpm range. Something to look forward to in the future...

SOHC VTEC which is what you have changes from the primary profile to the secondary profile ONLY on the intake side, when the engine is warm, oil levels are correct, at WOT, and above 4,400 RPM.

VTEC gives you both low-midrange and topend power.

Here's a dumb question, on the 1997 civc ex did they come stock with v-tec??? I have had many people say yes and many so no. I am just curious because for now I am going to build up my stock motor and I need to know so I can choose the best headers

It's neither that I am lazy nor am I having money troubles. I do however have a crack around one of the cylinders of my header. It caused for a lot of spuddering (atleast I hope that's what's causing it and not something more), and horrible starts. Not to mention gas mileage has gone to crap, and that's all I need is less gas mileage with higher prices. So it's either get the dc sport headers for now (keep in mind that I am doing a full swap later) or weld the POS cracked rusted ones back together. So would the dc sport headers be the best bet for now? Or should I just suck it up, get the OEM one's welded and wait for the full swap?

do it right. no need to waste $500 on a crapty header. weld the stock one, or buy a stock mani from ebay. ricers prolly selll em all the time on there. dont waste money. thats like building a motor then swapping it out.

Archived