girl who needs engine advice, help PLEASE

mbasheville

I admit it, I am a girl with no car knowledge and I got screwed. Please don't hold that against me and help me make a decision.

About a month ago I bought a 94 delsol vtec. The car had 105,000 miles on it and seemed to be in good shape (like a dummy I trusted the salesman and didn't get the car checked) and I bought it with no warranty. The car seems to run great but in 500 miles it has used 1 quart of oil. I took it in to be checked and was told it need a motor rebuild (ring job) and would cost about $1900 (the service center I took it to has a great reputation so at this point I am assuming that this is accurate.) The car has the b16a3 motor in it.

I have since called and talked to many mechanics and each one has a different opinion. Some say replace the motor with a used one and others say rebuild. The estimates have run anywhere from $1700 all the way up to $5500. One option was to replace the current motor with a b16a1 used motor ($1030 for the motor, $500 to install) with about 50,000 miles on it and a 6 month unlimited mile warranty. Is this a good idea? Should I just rebuild and if I do, what is a fair price to pay because $1900 seems high to me?

To be honest, I don't care what kind of motor is in it. I am told that the b16a3

vtec is fast, high performance and so on but that doesn't matter to me. I just liked the way the car looked and I have had a crx and civic previously and have never had any problems. I want to keep this car long term but since I just bought it and paid alot I really do not want to put a huge amont of money in it but at the same time I want to fix it right.

I brought the car home today from the shop without making any decisions. They told me I can drive it for awhile as long as I keep checking and putting oil in it but I am scared I will mess it up worse and will not be able to rebuild if that is what I decide to do. Is it OK to drive it for now? PLEASE, you guys know about these cars and the motors, what should I do? Rebuild or put in a used motor? Approx. how much should it cost either way? Can I drive it in the meantime without doing any more damage? The questions just go on and on. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

depends on whats wrong w/ it. if it is the rings you may or may not be able to drive it continuosly. have someone do a compression test to find out more in detail what is wrong w/ it.

here are all the b16's honda makes w/ some specs:

B16A- 1996-2000 civic vti and 1990-1993 integra XSi/RSi (JDM)...OBD 2, 168 horse

B16A SiR- 1991 CRX SiR (JDM)...OBD 0, 158 horse

B16A SiR 2- 1992-1995 Civic SiR and del Sol (JDM)...OBD 1, 158 horse

B16A2- 1999-2000 Civic Si...OBD 2, 160 horse

B16A3- 1994-1995 del Sol VTEC...OBD 1, 160 horse

B16B-1997-2001 Civic Type-R...OBD 2, 185 horse!

Let me know what you wanna do I could help you out I know a guy with a b16a2 with a fresh rebuild w/ b16b internals its a sweet motor dynoed at 200 horsepower. he wants to sell.

i say rebuild it cause you actually know what you are getting... anything under $2000 would be ideal... even if you buy a motor for $1000 just about every mechanic will charge you about $1000 for the install

1900 dollars is mad high for a rebuild, dont pay it. I recomend getting that motor for 1030 bucks and have it put in. you will get a lot more out of that engine. good luck

where are u getting your prices rexellent?

I know a guy with a b16a2 with a fresh rebuild w/ b16b internals its a sweet motor dynoed at 200 horsepower. he wants to sell.

how much does he want for it and wheres he located?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived