Anyone Catholic?

SexyH22

So the pope died, now what, im not catholic so i dont really understand the whole deal. my gf is but she doesnt know either. they pick a new one right? maybe i'll apply for the position.

thanks to reading angels & demons, i'm a little familiar with the process. laptop is running low on battery though so i'll post up tomorrow

Co-Popes...lmao.

its kinda crazy all those people standing in front of the vatican or whatever. i was reading it in the newspaper the other day. saved the paper too because i figure it'll be worth some money to someone someday. this is the kind of crap that only happens once in a lifetime.

alright, from what i know this is how it works:

generally 15 days after the pope's death a conclave is held to elect the new pope. 120 cardinals under the age of 80 gather for the conclave. of course, men who are very close to the 80-year-mark still attend but are not really considered for the position. before conclave is held, there is usually a favorite or small group of favorites, so the decision is pretty much made before conclave, but it is held because it is a ritual blah blah blah. each cardinal submits a ballot, and the ballots are burned at the end. black smoke from the chimney indicates no pope has been elected, and white indicates a new pope.

i'm not religious, so if any of the info above is wrong... this is just crap i learned from reading angels & demons, but from the quick news glances i've gotten about the pope thing, the info seems pretty accurate.

co-pope sounds like a cereal. Why aren't flags flown at half staff? Only when someone important from the US dies is when flags are flown at half staff? The pope changed millions of people and collapsed a few ex communist countries. He is looked up upon by people around the world. If not half staff, at least 2/3s..? He deserves it, at least! he is the 1st non italian pope and i believe he has been a pope for the longest time compared to previous popes.o:)

civic: what you read is correct. I also want to add that those cardinals live in a convent like building for years. They aren't allowed to have television, radio, phone, or anything that gets them news from the world. They get news only on certain things by word of mouth. They can't leave until a new pope is elected or when the current pope passes away. so they're basically trapped in the building for a few decades. The reason for no media coverage is that they're job is to only practice religion related activities. also when the catholic cardinals vote, they have to win by at least 2/3s so if not, black smoke is let out so the outsiders know that the pope is not yet elected. as you stated before, white smoke is let out to signal to the outsiders that a new pope is elected.

man, i could go on forever talking about my religion but i'll stop here. :D

umm...i dont get it, isnt this country seperate when it comes to CHURCH and STATE.

Then why are flags half flown, in my school and area flags were Half Flown. Its not like ever american is catholic, but those americans who arent, they too can be nationalists and would want their flags Flown high.

I just hope they do elect a good pope. But I dont think any other pope can be like John Paul II. He's very special. I'm catholic and well all I can remember he has been the only pope I've know about since I was born. He's done so much for many people in such little time. I hope he rests in Peace and now that he becomes a Saint I hope he watches over everyone and may he bring peace to the world now that he is gone. :heart:

umm...i dont get it, isnt this country seperate when it comes to CHURCH and STATE.

Then why are flags half flown, in my school and area flags were Half Flown. Its not like ever american is catholic, but those americans who arent, they too can be nationalists and would want their flags Flown high.

its jutst respectful, its like in memory of. it doesnt necessarily say because he was catholic, but more because he was a good person.

I'm pretty religious, so I had a lot of respect for pope john paul II. My mom lived in Poland back in the day when he used to be the bishop there in Krakow, and she recieved her confirmation from him. I've been to Poland plenty of times and i've gotten to see the place he used to stay in when he was in Poland. If any of you watched Fox News it was that big yellow building where people were praying outside.

Im betting that the next pope will be a traditional italian

this is probably a dead topic but....I think people should stop saying that the next pope will allow the priesthood to women. That isn't going to happen, especially not anytime soon...it's too radical a change and the cardinals are there to keep things like that in check. Only two of the cardinals are liberal, so it'll be awhile before a majority of them would agree upon such a thing. Besides wouldn't they allow priest's to marry first, changes like that are gradual if they do occur...which as far as I know they don't at all...The Church will not make a doctrinal change, they never actually have and never will. Anyways, like I said, if you're one of the idiots spreading that bs...god help you.

Archived