Turbo or Supercharger

green_civic

Right now I have a coupe 95 civic ex SOHC VTEC with DC Sports 4-2-1 1 piece headers, AEM cold air intake, JDM DX tranny, Excedy stage 2 racing clutch, Magnaflow high flow cat, Thermal 2.25 cat back exhaust and I was looking at putting the Edlebrock performer x turbo kit on it. Then I was looking at the Jackson Racing JR supercharger to. I also want to autocross my car to, not only drag. What is your opinion?

Edlebrock turbo

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/sport_...components.html

Jackson Supercharger

http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/ViewProd...teIndexID=33370

• 2 weeks later...

Well, when shopping for forced induction products, you need to concider a few things. 1. Do you want more horsepower, with a lot more maintenance, or 2. do you want less horsepower with less maintenance. If you want to turbocharge it, do it right. Don't buy one of the kits that Edelbrock puts out because that is a big waste of money. Get all the components that would go best with the car, and then TAKE CARE OF IT!. Ive seen way too many turbos fail because kids will shut their car off right after they stop, instead of allowing the turbo to wind down so it stays lubricated.

Now superchargers on the other hand are going to give you a little less horsepower than the turbo would, but its a lot more reliable than the turbo. Plus, with a supercharger, you are getting a constant boost, unlike the turbo.

Preferably, I would stay naturally aspirated because there are a lot of little things that you can do to gin horsepower. For example, get a multi-angle valve job done (ex. 7 angle). This will give you better flow into the cylinder and will give you about a 20 - 40 horsepower gain, just buy adding more angles to the valve seat.

It is all your choice, but i highly recommend not getting the Edelbrock turbo kit because its a heaping pile or crap.

You're the biggest idiot I've heard in a while.

Edlebrock makes THE best kit hands down for the SOHC.

Not only does it give you awesome power, mileage, and reliability, but the EMS it uses compensates for up to 18 pounds of boost.

7 angle valve job? Please.

EVERY drag Honda uses a 3 angle. It is not the amount of angles, but the degree of the angles themselves. All out headwork by someone good (RLZ, Alaniz, etc) will add around 40whp on a B series, so a valvejob is nowhere close to that.

Turbo winding down to stay lubricated? How about engine idling so oil can cool down.

Well, for starters, the SOHC engine sucks, and why would you want to put a turbo and crapty engine.

For the main course, do you even know anything about valve jobs? 3 ANGLES? crap man, the whole point of doing the multi angle valve job is to help get rid of all the sharp edges. SO! for your information, 3 angles would have no flow compared to 7 angles. Try to get a little more information on anything before you start trying to school me on crap that im in college for.

Oh one more thing. It is to allow for the turbo to wind down, not for it to cool down. There needs to be a constant flow of oil to it or else your POS edelbrock turbo will break.

Well, for starters, the SOHC engine sucks, and why would you want to put a turbo and crapty engine. 

For the main course, do you even know anything about valve jobs? 3 ANGLES? crap man, the whole point of doing the multi angle valve job is to help get rid of all the sharp edges.  SO! for your information, 3 angles would have no flow compared to 7 angles.  Try to get a little more information on anything before you start trying to school me on crap that im in college for.

Oh one more thing.  It is to allow for the turbo to wind down, not for it to cool down.  There needs to be a constant flow of oil to it or else your POS edelbrock turbo will break.

you're a f*cking retard

go back to your wack ass V-8 ASC mechanic course and go do 27-angle valve jobs on your mom's Buick

Let me confirm your moron status, but I'll make it simple for you:

I drag race a Honda

I've had headwork done

It was done by Portflow.. maybe you've heard of them? probably not.

Portflow knows their crap.

They did a 3 angle valve job

The power comes from how much more air and fuel can flow through the head, via the angles of the valve job, not the amount of angles in your valve job

BTW, an aftermarket turbo timer allows the engine to keep idling, which allows the oil to cool, which allows your turbo to cool down properly. The turbo doesn't need to "wind down", it winds up and down 5 zillion times every time you drive it.

Don't come on here fronting, son.

Now go get your Dremel and get back to those valve jobs

For the main course, do you even know anything about valve jobs? 3 ANGLES? crap man, the whole point of doing the multi angle valve job is to help get rid of all the sharp edges.  SO! for your information, 3 angles would have no flow compared to 7 angles.  Try to get a little more information on anything before you start trying to school me on crap that im in college for.

Oh one more thing.  It is to allow for the turbo to wind down, not for it to cool down.  There needs to be a constant flow of oil to it or else your POS edelbrock turbo will break.

1. It might suck IYO, but it is enough to get me .1 second off an STi at an autocross with stock suspension and no sway or strut bars.

2. A valvejob is done to alter the angles of the valve seat to create a better flow, not to get rid of sharp edges.

3. Pick up that automechanics book next time you are in class versus reading car magazines.

4. Don't try to argue with me on crap I do for a living.

instead of allowing the turbo to wind down so it stays lubricated

So if the car is shut off, all the oil in the turbo magically rushes out?

A turbo timer lets the car run so oil can circulate and cool down, versus sludging up in the turbo.

:sorcerer:

EDIT: That "POS" turbo that comes in the Edelbrock kit is a Garrett, the craptiest tyrbo's ever made. :rolleyes:

hahaha frackin noobs

if you didnt waste your time making up your posts and actually read around a bit you would know that ..ssr.. is one of the most well informed people in the forums.

take SexyH22's advice: Shut the fawk up.

Archived