Break It Down For Me...

TLontheDL

i know what an offset is...i think?

OFFSET = amt of space btw the center of the rim or, wherever the pattern/design or the wheel starts, to the outter lip. am i correct?

okay my question is, how does this affect if a wheel will rub on a dropped car or not? how is "offset" related to rubbing?! i do understand that the width of the wheel and the middle number of a tire plays a role in rubbing.. ie: 235/45/18 but how is offset related in rubbing?

school me fellas :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

actually, offset is measured from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface of the wheel. so, offset measures how much the wheel sticks out of the fender well or how much it's crowded into the inner fender of the car.

The middle number in the tire size designation is the aspect ratio, or sidewall height. On a 225/50-15, the sidewall height is 50% of the width (or 112.5mm). On a 225/45-15 tire, the sidewall will be 101.25mm high. So, rubbing depends on the rims offset, width, and diameter.... as well as the tires section width (the 225 above) and aspect ratio.

That's why it's so hard to know for sure what you are dealing with. Good question though.... sorry it took so long for you to get an answer.

Chris Shenefield

http://www.redshiftmotorsports.com

Archived