what tires do you have?

i'm about to spend some money on some new tires. i went to the track for the first time with my car the other day and ran a 15.1 completely stock (minus some free mods) with bald ass tires up front...slipping even when i shifted going into third. my 60' time was horrible. but i did beat a modified 5.0 mustang by .06 seconds on my second run :thumbsup:

anyways...i'm in the market for some new tires. was thinking about yokohama avs es100's.

What's the difference between 50 and 55. I know the 205 is width, and the letter is the speed rating, and that the 16 is diameter, but i forgot what the one before that speed rating meant.

these hook up really nice, and last a long ass time if you don't do burnouts every day.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...CodeIndex=28639

i have them on my civic. 10,000 miles and they're almost gone, but i track my car every month (road circuit, which puts more wear on tires than drag racing).

you should be able to get 15-20 out of them with occasional strip use.

What's the difference between 50 and 55. I know the 205 is width, and the letter is the speed rating, and that the 16 is diameter, but i forgot what the one before that speed rating meant.

50 and 55 are percents of the width of the tire. It tells you how long the "sidewall" of the tire is. For example:

205/50 = 50% of 205mm

205/55 = 55% of 205mm

so in other words if a tire is 205/55 then the width is 205mm and the side (the side with the tire logo) is 55% OF 205mm. Bigger middle number is good if your roads are bad b/c it saves the risk of bending your rims.

I am just going to chunk this into the wheel tire section.

oooh yeah i forgot about falkens! those are awesome, my friend says they last one whole drift event :crazy: haha, no but seriously they are really good tires! :thumbsup:

looks like im gettin falken azenis :thumbsup:

i use falken ziex.. for daily driving :p

and actually, the fuzion tires aren't too bad. joey put them on the s2k on friday before we were leaving, needed something cheap since his new wheels are coming in soon (and now he's also sponsored by bf goodrich)... but the fuzion's didn't do too bad driving down, and they held their own when they took a beating a few times heh

don't avs es 100's get 220 AA A whereas the falkens get 200 A A? maybe i'm wrong...let me go look.

treadware on the 205/50/zr16's are 280 A A for the same price.

you can't compare treadware ratings between 2 different companies. the falkens last just as long as the yokohamas. very similar compound. but the tread pattern and sidewall construction makes the falken a better tire.

With a lot of the expensive performance tires, most manufacturers concentrate primarily on traction. To get better traction, a softer compound is used which wears faster. To get the best traction, you usually have to sacrifice treadlife.

As to why the cheaper tires seem to be lasting longer....I think it might have to do with the market that the manufacturers are going after. The high end tires are geared towards people who can afford to drive an expensive performance vehicle. I'm sure they realize that these same people can afford new tires within a year. They can afford to buy tires based on traction alone. The lower priced performance tires are targeting people who want good traction, but are on a budget. The manufacturers realize that these people are just as concerned with price and treadlife as they are concerned about traction. So if they want drivers to stick with their tires, they need to offer a balance of both treadlife and traction.

Of course this is just a generalization/theory, but it would explain TLontheDL's tire experiences. Different tire manufacturers have different strategies for targeting different markets.

As for the UTQG, use it more as a general guideline rather than an exact number. It was designed to be comparable from brand to brand, but the flaw in this system is that the particular manufacturer sets the UTQG value. So within a company the UTQG would be directly comparable. Between two different companies, there is the problem of having a uniform benchmark to use. I'm not exactly sure how a manufacturer rates the treadwear and what they base it on. There are so many factors that affect treadwear though. The UTQG is best used combined with other information....manufacturer's treadwear warranty (if applicable), tire reviews & ratings, and word of mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

bridgestone potenza re910s are some very sticky tires. very good track wear and extremely good daily driving wear.

i personaly have 33x12.50x15 Pro Comp XTs getting ready to get 35x12.50x15s or 37x13.50x15s. cant decide yet.

Archived