Which are better tires? Toyo or Yoko

• 2 weeks later...

wheel size does not matter as much as you think, as long as you dont go over board and get the right size tires. the overall hight from ground to top of rim on my car is smaller than my stock ones. and to awser you question i would pick none. i work in a tire shop and auto cross my car. those tire are good but there is better out there. BFG kdw will be at the same cost but will last longer and look better, they alos out perfporm. but if you want a really good tire and dont have a money issue get the Bridgestone so3.

I agree with Lude 13 on those tire choices. I do have to disagree with his one statement "wheel size does not matter as much as you think". Wheel size is a major issue. By going to a larger rim, you're affecting handling, ride comfort and the stability of your rims. Sure you can get lower profile tires to keep your speedometer and odometer in check. The problem is that you have a smaller sidewall which can flex less and can't cushion impact as well. Then there's price, a lower treadlife, and the additional unsprung weight...do i need to continue? Yes wheel size does matter.

Sure you can get lower profile tires to keep your speedometer and odometer in check. The problem is that you have a smaller sidewall which can flex less and can't cushion impact as well. Then there's price, a lower treadlife, and the additional unsprung weight...do i need to continue? Yes wheel size does matter.

smaller sidewall also = better response. cant argue with you on the price, or the lower treadlife, but unsprung weight is purely based on which wheels you choose.

15 x 7 + 205/50/15 = perfect

wrong. if you take a lightweight wheel and put a very low profile tire you are gona have one sweet handling bitch. i mean 17s on a honda are ok. but no more imho.

for tires i say bridgestone potenza re910s

i am sorry but the bridgestone re 910 is a crap ass tire, espeacally if you want performance. if you want to get a good tire, go for the re 950. and also i thought that this was a performance site, if you talk about wheels who cares about how it rides. lets just get good performance here. it all i care about.

A lot of people care how a vehicle rides. I personally wouldn't put 18" wheels on my car because I care about how it rides. I never saw anything about this forum being about performance only. Most people on this forum drive their Honda daily. I'd rather not feel every little bump in the road. I'm sure the chicks riding in the passenger seat would want a smooth ride as well.

I doubt anyone's going to bash TE37s

i was responding to this:

SSR said: 15 x 7 + 205/50/15 = perfect (same setup as that crx i posted)

QKRTHANU said: wrong. if you take a lightweight wheel and put a very low profile tire you are gona have one sweet handling bitch

which is completelly wrong. i want to see QKRTHANU actually stop talking out his ass, put some 205/40/17s on a civic and take it to the track. see how he does against my 205/50/15 falkens.

I wouldn't say its completely wrong. His steering would probably be more responsive with 17s. He might not win any races with that setup, but he'd probably have better handling. He never claimed that it would get better times at the track. Maybe he doesn't even race. People look for different things in tires and wheels based on what type of driving they do. Different people base their wheel & tire selection on different things. There's no need to lip someone off just because they have different tastes or don't have the exact same perspective as you.

There's no need to lip someone off just because they have different tastes or don't have the exact same perspective as you.

yes there is.

if 17s made you handle better, racers would use them. they don't.

if 17s made you faster around the track, racers would use them. they don't.

I think the main reason most racers don't use 17s is the added weight. Most of them are concerned about the extra unsprung weight. They would give up a little bit of steering response to save 10 lbs. 17s would give you better handling, but the extra weight would slow you down. That is why racers don't use them.

For a racer, 15 is a good choice. For someone who drives their car hard, but is not worried about shaving seconds off their track times, a 16 or 17 might be a better choice to improve the cornering and also improve the looks.

Archived