decent all season tires

Does anyone know of a decent all season tire? I live in Connecticut, which gets a good amount of snow in the winter. Unfortunately I'm lacking the space to store an extra set of tires for each season.

The Michelins that came with my RSX suck balls and i was looking to replace them at the end of summer. Damn near killed myself on them a couple of times this winter when i was going only 20 mph. Not to mention even with rotating them every 6000 mi, i'll be lucky to get 20,000 out of them.

i have goodyear eagle ls p205/55 r16's on my eclipse. they get decent dry weather grip (i still lose traction through 1st and 2nd, but thats expected.) when it rains its really easy to spin them, but its easier to keep it under control. i have yet to slide, hydroplane, or accidently lock them up. i have lost traction in wet weather while passing going over the painted lines though.

decent tires, but at $100 a piece...i'm getting ripped off if i buy new ones instead of some of the classic 'tuner' performance tires.

Yeah sure get the Goodyear if you want to waste your money. Goodyear has a few very good tires and the rest are garbage. The Eagle LS would classify as garbage. In 205/55R16 you might want to look into the new Toyo Proxes 4.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...emodel=Proxes+4

If price is a major issue, Falken Ziex ZE-512 gives great value for the money.

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...l=Ziex+ZE%2D512

You'll have a tough time finding an all season tire that can handle snow well. All season tires are designed to be adequate in all conditions. Any winter tire will perform better than the best all season tire in snow.

Check out the available tires in your size at 1010tires.com:

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresearch.asp?tr...=55&diameter=16

Read some of the customer tire reviews and you should have a better idea what will suit your needs best.

Yeah sure get the Goodyear if you want to waste your money.

i just looked through your site... and it seems EVERYTHING is a waste of money. your prices are so rediculously high im surprised you guys are still in business.

using the 205-50-15 falken azenis sports for example. i work in the tires industry, and the invoice cost on these tires is around 50 dollars. you are selling them for $104! that is more than a 100% markup... when the industry standard is about 30%.

and with about 5 minutes of searching i found them on tires.com for $78 which includes free shipping.

????????????????????????????????

and to answer blackbird25's question... look into the goodyear assurance trippletred. its our new tire, most advanced in the industry. it has ice/snow tread, rain tread, and traction tread in one tire. also uses perma-black technology (tire wont turn brown on you). it will be pricey (not nearly as pricey as those falkens on 1010tires.com) but is worth it.

here is a picture

assurance.jpg

JDM Jackass your name suits you. Weren't you the same guy trying to argue with me about hub centric rings? You compare one tire in one size and you think you have the right to claim that all of our prices are too high? If you really are in the tire industry, you'd know that tire manufacturers vary prices across different markets. One tire might cost more and one might be less. It's amusing that you compare our prices to tires.com instead of the company that you work for. I'm sure your company gets outpriced as well.

Another thing, if you're in the tire industry why would you recommend a tire that only comes in a H or T speed rating? RSX comes stock with a V rated tire and you should not replace it with a lower speed rating. JDM you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. blackbird don't waste your time looking into that Goodyear.

JDM Jackass your name suits you. Weren't you the same guy trying to argue with me about hub centric rings?

yeah, i was. plastic melts and or permanently disforms. anodized aluminum does not corrode, and will stay true.

You compare one tire in one size and you think you have the right to claim that all of our prices are too high?

they are too high. every single tire on your website can be found cheaper at tirerack.com or tires.com.... a lot cheaper.

It's amusing that you compare our prices to tires.com instead of the company that you work for. I'm sure your company gets outpriced as well.

i work for a goodyear retail store and we sell those falkens for $74 each. i compared your ludicrous price to tires.com because it is an online site as well and has to deal with S&H like you do.

Another thing, if you're in the tire industry why would you recommend a tire that only comes in a H or T speed rating? RSX comes stock with a V rated tire and you should not replace it with a lower speed rating.

he asked for a good all season tire. what V rated tire can even come close to matching the assurance in wet and snow traction? an H rating is more than enough for the driving he does.

JDM you obviously have no clue what you're talking about. blackbird don't waste your time looking into that Goodyear.

im not the one who recommended falken ziex (@ 85$ each lol) and proxes 4 ( @ 100$ each.. wow what a deal. not) to someone looking for a GOOD snow tire. try to tell me that the trippletred isn't the tire he's looking for. good luck with the business dumbass.

oh so you took the time to compare every single tire in every size? I doubt that. We are located in a different market and yes some of our prices are more expensive than huge companies like tire rack or tires.com Some of our prices are lower though, it just depends on what you're looking for. Guaranteed a lot of their prices are lower than the Goodyear retail store you work for. You're just a punk looking for an argument.

Do you know anything about tires or do you clean bathrooms for a tire store? I just checked that Goodyear tire and it isn't even made in his size. Brilliant recommendation...not in his size or speed rating. It's also too new a tire to tell how good it really is. With different tread compounds I'd expect uneven wear, nevermind ride comfort & noise. Dropping speed ratings is a horrible idea. The car manufacturer put V rated tires on the vehicle for a reason. Putting lower speed rated tires on an RSX is unsafe and anyone who recommends it is clueless. You sound like the typical salesman trying to push the new product even when its not the right choice. In one description of this tire it was recommended for family sedans, coupes and minivans....not a sport compact. Maybe JDM should do a little more research instead of just reading what's in the catalog. He needs to grow up and lose the name calling too.

oh so you took the time to compare every single tire in every size? I doubt that. We are located in a different market and yes some of our prices are more expensive than huge companies like tire rack or tires.com Some of our prices are lower though, it just depends on what you're looking for. Guaranteed a lot of their prices are lower than the Goodyear retail store you work for. You're just a punk looking for an argument.

find me one tire on your site for sale @ regular list price that is cheaper than the same tire on tirerack.com or tires.com

I just checked that Goodyear tire and it isn't even made in his size.

how did you "check"? the tire isn't even officially out yet. we only got the assurance 2 weeks ago, and it is the comfortred model, not trippletred.

and yes, the trippletred WILL come in a 205/55/15. maybe you should "check" again.

With different tread compounds I'd expect uneven wear, nevermind ride comfort & noise.

are you serious? the compound is the same smart guy, it is the design of the tread that dubs it "trippletred". a center snow packing tread stripe, deep aquachutes for rain, and solid shoulder blocks for handling.

the assurance is also the quietest, smoothest riding, longest lasting tire from goodyear ever. like i said before, better "check" again.

Dropping speed ratings is a horrible idea.

lets find out. blackbird25, what is the fastest you have, or ever plan to go in your car?

You sound like the typical salesman trying to push the new product even when its not the right choice.

and you ARE the typical webmaster trying to push ANY tire at rediculous markup to make a profit.

In one description of this tire it was recommended for family sedans, coupes and minivans....not a sport compact.

good job researching the wrong tire. comfortred is made for vans, family sedans, ect. while the trippletred is for sport compacts, and sport sedans.

Maybe JDM should do a little more research instead of just reading what's in the catalog.

maybe i should.

i should start by making a website, buying some tires, multiplying the price i paid for them by 2, and selling them to people on honda message boards.

JDM you are too funny. It amazes me how clueless you can be. I come here to help people like blackbird, not to deal with personal attacks from some punk.

That's great that the tire is available in 205/55R15 as that sure will help someone looking for 205/55R16. No JDM a 205/55R15 won't fit on his 16" rim lol.

Then you ask him what his top speed will be as if that's the only thing that a speed rating is used for. A speed rating determines how a tire will respond at all speeds. Just because I probably won't drive past 100mph, that doesn't mean it would be safe to use a Q rated tire which is up to 99mph. Using a lower speed rating will affect both high and low speeds. JDM do you have any tire knowledge beyond what's in the catalog?

Neither of the new Goodyear Assurance tires is for sports cars. No one in their right mind would put an H rated tire on any performance vehicle. The Assurance ComfortTred is for luxury sedans where comfort is an issue. The Assurance TripleTred is for family vehicles.

I'm not going to waste more of my time correcting any false information that JDM is giving out. He doesn't realize that this forum is for helping people, not for pissing contests. Nor does he realize that a webmaster doesn't set prices.

Btw, i have plenty of nice fast, twisting roads where i am so i will need a V rated tire. Not to mention i do have a good amount of places where i can take up past 120. I just moved to CT about 8 months ago and the most snow I saw this winter was about 5" at a time.......Of course to me that's not a lot considering i moved here from Buffalo

Also, what do you guys know about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the Conti Extreme Contac......I know they are kind of expensive, but I'd be willing to flip the bill if they perform well. Most reviews i have seen make them look promising.

Thanks

If money isn't an issue, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is one of the best performance all season tires on the market. They'll do great in wet & snowy conditions, but they are a bit noisy in the dry. I'm not sure if its worth paying the extra cash compared to a Toyo or Falken.

As for the Continental, I'm not very familiar with that particular model. Continental hasn't been very popular in the past, but some of their newer models seem to be doing well.

It sounds like you're stuck between getting a high performance tire and an ultra high performance tire. It really comes down to how much you value your tires and how much you are willing to spend. If you want the absolute best tire, spend the extra cash and get the expensive ultra high performance tire. If you want to save some money and still get a great tire, consider a step down to the Falken or Toyo. Its the difference between getting a great tire and getting the best tire.

Your prices are too high.

He is right about the hubcentric rings.

He knows more than you do probably.

And you're a poor business man for arguing like that.

No one in their right mind would put an H rated tire on any performance vehicle.

mitsubishi eclipse gst's and gsx's come with H-rated tires stock...and thats what i have on my gst right now. not sure what h-rated tires go up to but my eclipse has a speed limiter at 135mph, i've hit it a few times and everything was fine with my tires. h-rated tires will be fine on a rsx, nobody needs to drive that fast on public roads anyways.

Actually the GSX came stock with V rated. The GTS did come stock with H rated until `99, when they started using V rated stock. So maybe Mitsubishi realized that they should've came with V rated in the first place. Some lower end performance vehicles did come stock with H rated tires.

Sure you could drop speed rating and probably never have a problem. It is just highly recommended that you never do this. If the tires were to fail you'd have a pretty tough time having it covered by any kind of warranty when the tire is not suitable for your vehicle. Most companies won't sell you a lower speed rated tire without some type of disclosure. Vehicle manufactuers know what type of tire a vehicle needs to be driven safely. When you drop the speed rating your car will not handle as well. The big concern is emergency situations. If you need to stop suddenly or swerve around something, you need tires that can handle your car. So if your car came with V rated tires, you should replace them with at least a V rated tire. It's not worth the risk of dropping the speed rating.

A lot of people don't quite understand speed ratings. All they see is the maximum stop speed. Speed ratings affect how a tire will handle at any speed, even 50mph. You don't pick a speed rating purely on the expected top speed you'd drive. You need to first base it on the vehicle, and then increase it if you need the extra performance.

SSR thanks for your opinion, but you don't need to bash our company on every thread I post in.

When did I bash your company? Never. I said your prices are too high, which is not bashing. And I called you a poor business man for arguing. A good business man would simply say why his product is better and why his prices are where they are and leave it at that. If you think you're right about something, do some research and post up the information.

Ok...that's exactly what I did. I did my research and posted information to help people. I don't really care what one person's opinion of me is though. I'm here to help people and it seems like too many people are just here to antagonize. I'll stick by what I say and I'll stand up for the company I work for. I just don't appreciate when people like you run your mouth just for the sake of being heard.

• 2 months later...

1010tires.com- a good business man does not have to insult competitors to prove his superiority. Selling products is in a completely different catagory from the product altogether. If you are going to try and sell products here I suggest you lighten you mood. I have only been on this site for a month and I am already getting the impression you're sleezy. I'm not saying you are, that's the impression I got. Just because your company sponsors this thread doesn't mean you're hot crap, so stop thinking you are unless you prove it.

Archived