Oil leak 2011 Accord LX-P with 83k miles

bornitz

Hi,

I have an oil leak (dark brown) and an appointment with my certified Honda mechanic on Saturday. I had a major service a few weeks back (oil/transmission fluid, etc) and side motor mounts replaced as well. The collection on the garage floor appears to be off center closer to drivers side and parallel with the back of the front tire if that makes sense. I’ll try to attach photos. I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone has any ideas what might be the cause, although I suspect there are several possibilities. BTW, other than motor mounts, this car has performed flawlessly from day 1. Thanks in advance, Bonnie

Edited by bornitz
Trying to attach photos

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

Sounds like Honda screwed up your previous oil change or broke something during the mounts replacement. Was it this bad before that?  Did they forget to tighten the oil filter?

Thanks, Drew! I wondered the same, so  I’m doing a test. I wiped up the oil, put a paper towel over the area, left for a few hours, returned and parked in the garage. I just looked underneath that car after it being parked for 5 hours and don’t see anything on the paper towel. Obviously, I’ll have a better look when I move my car in the morning. If the paper towel is still clean, it means that the oil leak was from a previous oil change and I didn’t notice it because I almost always pull right in. If there’s oil there, then it seems that assuming it’s not a more serious problem, then it could be a loose filter. Even if it’s dry, I still plan to have my mechanic inspect it. Thank you! 

On 6/23/2022 at 7:36 PM, Drew said:

Sounds like Honda screwed up your previous oil change or broke something during the mounts replacement. Was it this bad before that?  Did they forget to tighten the oil filter?

It was a loose transmission fitting and transmission fluid that was leaking, mechanic tightened it and said it should be ok now. Thank you!