A few questions before purchasing a used 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid

Sam78

Hi everyone! I've never posted here or even visited before as I've never owned a Honda. 😀 However, a friend is trading in a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring at the dealer tomorrow but just asked me if I'd be interested in it instead. Seeing as I know nothing about Honda cars and even less about hybrids I thought I'd ask around and see if anyone had any advice before committing to buying it. Below are the details and if anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it. He needs to know by 10AM CST so if you are seeing this after that then I super appreciate you taking the time to read this but it's probably too late. 😁

So the car is a 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring, 4cyl, fully loaded with all the options available at the time of purchase, 96,000 miles, white with black interior, in excellent condition, clean title, always garage kept, maintenance always done on time and at the dealer. He is asking $17,000 which is what the dealer will give him if he trades it in. The same model and year with very similar miles seem to be going for $22,000 to $25,000 in my area.

My main concern is the battery. Honda warranties it to 8 years/100,000 miles so there isn't much time left on the warranty. Also, I am in Texas so I know the heat can be an issue with batteries. I've read that the batteries can last up to 125-150k miles and sometimes even longer before they start to have issues. However, that's realistically only 2-4 years of driving here in Texas due to the massive distances you have to travel to get anywhere and if I had to get it replaced after 2 or even 4 years that would be another very large expense and make the $17,000 not a very good deal.

So, I guess I'm wondering what other people's experiences are with the batteries on this model and year and if it's something I need to be concerned about and if so then maybe not buy the car or if it's not something to worry about and if it would be worth purchasing.

Also, if anyone has any other advice and/or anything I should look out for before coming to a decision.

Thank you so much for reading this, your advice and time is much appreciated!