2017 Honda Accord Touring U0155 Code from plugging in scanner

A1218

I got a U0155 code as soon as I plugged in my code reader to the vehicle.

Coincidentally I installed the VCM tuner 2 earlier in the day after the vehicle sat for a few hours. I drove a few times after and there were no codes. I decided to check some live data out to see if the tuner was actually working, but as soon as I plugged it into the port the dash lit up with all the warning lights and check engine light. I cleared the codes and went on the road again after, nothing so far.

Is there a specific sequence or way the scanner should be used? I plugged it in with the engine already on and it triggered instantly.

I tried it back just now this time plugging the scanner in first then starting the engine and everything was okay.

I did reach out to the tuner company and they said this situation is not a result of the VCM tuner.

I honestly never used the code reader on the vehicle yet so I would like to know if I’m doing something incorrectly?