Honda Civic 2012 LX Seat Defect

Geno Pickerign

Just a few years ago I had made a decision to put $20,000 down for a brand new Honda Civic LX because I figured I could ride it into the ground as Honda has had a good track record. About a week ago an individual cut me off forcing me to slam my brakes after slamming my brakes my entire seat came off the seat track and seat mount - the seat and everything has to be replaced and I was basically quoted $1,600 just for stopping my car too fast. I have had cars in the past that were 10 years old and not once have I ever had any problem with the seat coming off the seat track just for stopping too fast. I suspect that they were bad welds on the seat track or weaknesses in the metal that should not have been there. I am not impressed.

Honda refuses to pay for the damages. They simply state that the car is not under warranty and there are no faults in the seat. Honda has not given me an explanation as to how the seat broke in the way that it did. My argument is that it's a safety issue and the seat should not have broken in the way that it did just from stopping too fast.

I have newer 2012 Honda Civic LX and have been keeping up with all the maintenance tired/oil/transmission fluid changes, etc.

Keep in mind there was no impact I didn't physically hit anything I just slammed my break and the seat came off the seat tract causing 1,600 in damage.

I am not sure that I will ever buy another Honda again. This has just all around been a bad experience for me.

• 2 weeks later...

That definitely sounds like a safety defect, and Honda should take care of it free of charge.

I'm fairly certain they warranty their seatbelts for life. I would suggest you contact a different Honda dealer about your situation.

If this is the stock seat, nothing has been modified, and you were not involved in a crash, Honda should replace it no questions.

Archived