obd2 engine in obd1 car

mikepowers5639

I have 2 whole cars one is (2dr lx 96 d16y7 obd2a) the other is (4dr ex 95 trash d16y8 obd1) i want to take the running (96 d16y7 obd2) and put it in my 93 4dr. I need to know how to make the (96 d16y7 obd2a engine with ecu) work in my (95 wired for an obd1) i dont know if the 96 obd2 ecu will plug into my 93 which was made to use the obd1. I can not find a jumper for what i want to do, which leads me to think i do not need one. Or if i could can i keep (p28 obd1) and make it run the 96 d16y7 enging which was ment to run on obd2? I cant find answer anywhere.

You can't find a straight answer because you have some of your info wrong somewhere*

The d16y7 from your 96 is a terrible engine. Non-vtec about 105hp or something. It's great for commuting and sipping gas but generally only worth about scrap aluminum price. You are correct that it is an OBD2 setup.

Where you have something wrong is the other car. You list your 95 (or 93, which is it?) as having an d16y8 with an OBD1 setup. This is not possible. The y8 was a solid engine. vtec, 130 something hp, about equivalent to the d16z6 but it was only every offered as an OBD2 setup. in 96-00 cars. The 92-95 cars were all OBD1 with either d15b7 or d16z6. The b7 was pretty worthless too. Similar to the y7.

*The only way this would all pan out as you initially described it is if someone did one ridiculously janky engine swap and cross-wired the shit out of a lot of sensors on that 93/95.

Ultimately, you need the ecu that matches the engine. you will likely need to rewire your engine harness yourself. no one bothered to make an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness for a y7 because there was really minimal reason to swap a y7 into any car even if the engine was free.

• 1 year later...

What would he have to do if he put in a d16y8 into that 93 eg 4door is like Wat I have but it came with a d16a but for some reason the distributors don't match up Wat can I do?? Or parts do I have to buy to make it start it cranks but with no start

Archived