Overheating troubleshoot...

Marine91

i have a 94 Civic DX automatic with the d15... i am having an overheating issue. about 5 minutes after the car starts and i begin driving the temp gauge moves to right below half like normal and about twenty mins later starts to climb past half... i havent hit the red yet. i called a honda dealer and spoke to the service dept and they said its not the head gasket bc there is no coolant in my oil and no blue smoke coming out of my exhaust. i have replaced the thermostat and thermoswitch and am going to replace the radiator this weekend. i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what may be wrong bc riding around on a 95 degree day with the heat on is getting to suck pretty bad... thanks

Don't replace the radiator yet. There are other free things to check first.

Do not forget to check all of your fuses. It sounds odd but on your car there is more than one fuse associated with the cooling system and they piggy-back on other circuits so they are not marked as cooling system fuses on the block diagrams. After running for a while and the temp starts to climb are both your lower and upper radiator hoses hot? If they are not both hot you may have a clog in your system or the thermostat isn't opening for some reason. You can try running with the thermostat removed to isolate if it is a thermostat actuating issue. Following that you can direct wire your fan temporarily to the battery to make sure that relay hasn't failed. You can disconnect the heater hoses and back-flush the radiator (stick a hose in the top and disconnect the hoses) to make sure it isn't completely fouled up. Last and worst is to replace your water pump.

Bars leak to the rescue!

No, seriously, don't use that shit.

Rad is pretty inexpensive comparatively. If you are going to order online I have a special place in my heart for www.importrp.com They have always treated me well for replacement parts.

Archived