Lightweight wheel max load?

dnl2ba

Hi, I'm interested in the Velox PG-5S (12.5 lb., 620 KG / 1367 lb. max load) and Velox PG-Rev8 (12.5 lb., 690 KG / 1520 lb. max load) for my TSX. Both are forged, so they should be pretty strong, but I'm new to car modding so I don't know if it's enough. Anyone know whether these wheels' max load ratings are sufficient for a 3329 lb. TSX? If not, has anyone used similarly lightweight rims on a midsize sedan?

Well, you're not considering passengers and cargo. The TSX's stated max passenger/cargo load is 850 lbs. 3329 + 850 = 4179 lbs (assuming I want my lightweights to support as much as stock, but I wouldn't've gone 4-door if I didn't want to carry passengers). 4179 / 4 = 1044.75.

You're also assuming equal weight distribution, when in fact, the car is already front-heavy (it's something like 61/39). Also, during a turn, weight shifts to outer wheels in any car. Lastly, in a car with understeer (like the TSX stock), weight also goes to the rear in a turn, or to front if there's oversteer (like the TSX with Comptech rear sway, which I may get). So in a turn, if the car isn't understeer/oversteer neutral, I'm guessing one of the wheels is gonna take an inordinate share of the weight while the one in the opposite corner takes very little.

But thanks for getting me started on the numerical analysis. :)

------------------------

Aaaanyway, I got a reply from Velox about my PG-Rev8 load question. Sales guy said the load is fine for a TSX, but the TSX would look much better with the PG-5S (I was like, "Hey, that's what I said!"). The PG-5S, he said, would also be fine for a TSX despite a max load of only 1320 lbs each.

Downside: Velox doesn't offer any kind of warranty. Is that normal for the rim business? They said they may offer to replace it at their own discretion if I ship damaged ones to them for their inspection (which, IME, means they won't do crap for me). So the Velox guy could be talking completely out of his ass and it wouldn't hurt them at all except that I'd be ranting on forums like this one.

very true, i didn't take those variables into the calculations. and big words make my head spin :crazy: but as the velox guy said, they should be fine. its not like your going to be putting max g forces on the wheels while you have 3 passengers and a trunk load of luggage. and more than likely you'll be riding with passengers (fine girls) inbetween destinations (clubs) in the pimp tsx with nice wheels. right?

Archived